Crispy Veggies with Fennel Pollen Dipping Sauce – Episode 61
Written by Rachel, Posted in A Cooking Show with Rachel O, Abundant Harvest Organics, Appetizers, Condiments, Dinner, Fennel Pollen, Fruit, Gluten Free, Kid-Friendly, Roasting, Sauces, Sides, Snacks, This Week's Feast, Vegetables, Vegetarian
I think at this time of year, the word pollen might be a bad bad word. I, for example, have sneezed approximately seventeen hundred thousand times in the past two weeks. I wonder if I’m allergic to something?!
Here’s a kind of pollen you can get into: Fennel Pollen. I told you about it in December when I’d just begun to try it out. I’m still experimenting, but so far, everything I’ve added it to I’ve liked (not to be confused with “add it to everything”).
I used it on two episodes of the show and made some bright green Savory French Toast that is holy moly good, and some oh boy this is good too, in a totally different way, Mahi Mahi, Fennel, and Potato Chowder.
And this week, I used it again. This time in a dip for some beets, fennel, potatoes, and carrots. Not just any beets, fennel, potatoes, and carrots though. They’re roasted. Which makes almost any vegetable about a thousand times better (and that’s saying a lot, because I like vegetables).
It’s time to get dippin’, friends.
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, core removed, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 beets, peeled and chopped
- 1 T olive oil, divided
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 lemon wedge/serving
- sauce: 1/8 to 1/4 C buttermilk (1 T white vinegar and fill to 1/4 C with milk - stir and let sit for a few minutes)
- 1/4 C Greek yogurt
- 2 T mayonnaise
- 1/2 stalk green garlic, diced
- 2 pinches salt
- pinch pepper
- pinch fennel pollen
- 1 t red wine vinegar
- 1 t to 1 T olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Cut veggies to be about the same size. Using a separate bowl for the fennel, and for the beets, toss with 1 T olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Put beets on a baking sheet and bake for 2 min. Place the carrots and potatoes on another baking sheet. Add to oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Add fennel to beet sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until veggies are tender on the inside, crispy on the outside.
- While veggies roast, whisk together dressing ingredients, adding olive oil last, and whisking it in. Let it sit in the fridge until veggies are ready.
- Serve veggies with a squeeze of lemon and the sauce to dip them in.