Savory Baked French Toast – Episode 50
Written by Rachel, Posted in A Cooking Show with Rachel O, Abundant Harvest Organics, Baking, Bread, Breakfast, Brunch, Cheese, Dinner, Eggs, Fennel Pollen, Fruit, Holiday, Lunch, Main Dishes, Meat, Nuts, Pork, This Week's Feast, Vegetables
Warning: Use of undefined constant linklove - assumed 'linklove' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/0/d239794658/htdocs/rachel/wp-content/plugins/facebook-comments-plugin/class-frontend.php on line 98
It’s 2013! It’s a New Year! We all have plans, ideas, resolutions. We, like many of you I’m sure, missed our Abundant Harvest Organics boxes over the break. I’m so glad our produce drawers are full once again so we can get back into our lifestyle of healthy eating!!
This is a special episode, because it’s my 50th!! That’s a big number and I’m excited. I’ve loved doing this show for you. I hope you’re learning, laughing, enjoying, and eating along with me!
I hope you try this rather yummy dish. It’s perfect for any meal. But, I think it would be awesome at a brunch with family or friends. You can use any kind of bread that you want. To make it a bit healthier, I’d go with a whole grain, whole wheat bread. But, I had some stale French bread, so that’s what I used. It’s a great way to use the greens that are so good for you, and are in season right now. (If you need another way to use greens, my brother gave me his recipe for Green Smoothies. They are delicious and full of healthy ingredients.) I used ham, but bacon would also be amazing (cooked then crumbled over top when serving). Another option would be to omit the meat altogether and add some more almonds when serving, for some lean protein.
This dish comes out super bright green. Kinda like the Incredible Hulk. I like green.
I hope your new year has been wonderful so far! And, I’m glad you’re here! Thanks for being a part of my first 50 episodes!!
- 4 eggs
- 3-4 C kale/spinach/collard greens
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 C milk
- 1/4 C cream (reserve a bit for topping)
- 1 t dijon mustard
- 1/2 t (or less) salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- pinch cayenne
- 1 to 1 1/2 C cheese, grated (I used Creamy Jack Cheese)
- pinch fennel pollen
- 1 t olive oil
- 10 thick slices of bread (I used a stale loaf of French Bread)
- 5 slices ham, quartered
- roasted almonds, chopped (for topping)
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl (if using a hand blender), or a food processor, or a blender, blend spinach/kale/collard greens, garlic, eggs, milk, dijon, onion, seasonings, and 1/2 C cheese (I blended up the greens in the chopper attachment of my KitchenAid hand blender first, then transferred to the bowl).
- Grease baking dish with olive oil - even on the sides (at least part way up). Soak bread slices in egg mixture. Place in baking dish, overlapping each slice with the next one (if desired). If there is any extra egg mixture, add more to each slice. Top each slice with two pieces of ham.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover, top with remaining cheese, and bake uncovered for 15 minutes more (or until it reaches 160F).
- Let it rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Top with a drizzle of cream and some almonds (a dollop of Greek yogurt would also be good!).
Powered by Facebook Comments