Roasted Carrots with Honey and Almonds
If these carrots had a story, I’d imagine that it would go something like this, “My grandmother used to tell us about life in the old country. Her father was a carrot farmer. They had good years, but there were the lean years too.
Her mother made the best ricotta. It was a favorite in their town. During those harder times they would trade their carrots and that ricotta for the almonds grown on the farm right next to theirs.
At the end of the summer, they would shake the trees and there was always so much dust in the air. But, it was worth it. When they tasted those almonds, combined with the sweet carrots, grown by her father’s hand, topped with the cool, silky ricotta, it felt like everything would be alright. There was a promise of better times in those simple ingredients.
As she tossed the carrots with some olive oil, salt and pepper, a far away look would come over her.
As she took her first bite, I knew that the taste was taking her back to a different time. Memories long forgotten were brought back with the sweet roasted flavor. It tasted like home.”
Yes, I think that’s the kind of story these carrots would tell.
- 3 carrots, sliced into rounds (1/4" thick)
- 1 T olive oil
- to taste salt
- to taste pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 T honey
- 1/4 C (heaping) almonds, diced
- 1/4 C ricotta cheese
- lemon slices, for serving
- Pre-heat the oven to 425F.
- Toss the carrots with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes.
- Toss partially roasted carrots with garlic, honey, and almonds. Spread out on the baking sheet and return to the oven and roast for 5-7 minutes more.
- Serve topped with a scoop of ricotta and a squeeze of lemon.
Powered by Facebook Comments