English Peas with Ricotta and Ham over Pasta – Episode 67
Written by Rachel, Posted in A Cooking Show with Rachel O, Abundant Harvest Organics, Cheese, Dinner, Fruit, Herbs, Kid-Friendly, Lunch, Main Dishes, Meat, Pasta, Pork, Quick and Easy, This Week's Feast, Vegetables
Warning: Use of undefined constant linklove - assumed 'linklove' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/0/d239794658/htdocs/rachel/wp-content/plugins/facebook-comments-plugin/class-frontend.php on line 98
I know that some people hate peas. But, I am not one of them. I mentioned in my post last week that I didn’t like frozen peas as a kid. Now, I can’t get enough of them – in any form.
I love peas.
I love sugar snap peas with bacon and pasta. I’m also crazy about them raw. Pea tendrils? Have you ever tried them? So good with a fried egg on top! Snow peas in Stir Fry are amazing. I wish I was eating that right now (with some tofu or chicken, some bean sprouts and carrots, and a nice slightly sweet sauce…). Frozen peas in Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup is one of my favorites.
But now, I have a new love. Pasta + ricotta + ham + carrots + chard + garlic + ENGLISH PEAS = Love love love this meal. Topped with some basil and parmesan cheese… oh boy! (Husband’s response last night after his first bite: “Wow!”)
And it’s good cold, as a pasta salad. Maybe with some German or Italian sausage? How about alongside a Burger? Or with a few other delicious salads?
Why am I coming up with all these meal ideas, I’m not even hungry!
Or I wasn’t…
After I finished filming and taking photos, I stood at my little Ikea island and picked pasta and ricotta out of the bowl and ate it. Someone’s gotta clean up.
- 1 pkg pasta
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 heaping C (about 40 pods) English peas (shelled)
- 2 carrots, in long thin ribbons (use a vegetable peeler)
- 1 bulb green garlic and the green part (just the edible part), minced
- 3/4 t to 1 t salt
- pinch cayenne
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2 to 1 t fresh thyme
- 1/4 C water
- 1-2 T lemon juice
- 3/4 C ham, cooked and thinly sliced
- 2-3 C chard, roughly chopped
- 10 oz. ricotta cheese
- parmesan cheese (for topping), grated
- basil, chopped (for topping)
- Cook pasta in salted water.
- While pasta cooks, heat skillet, and add oil. Add English peas through thyme. Cook over medium or medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add water. Cook 8 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add lemon juice, ham, and chard. Cook for 5 minutes (or until ham is heated through and chard is wilted), tossing occasionally with tongs. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Toss cooked pasta with ricotta and a pinch of salt.
- Serve pasta topped with veggies and some parmesan and basil.
Powered by Facebook Comments