No Soup for You! – Episode 53
I love cold nights warmed by steaming bowls of soup. It’s soup season and I fully intend to take advantage of it. Freshly made, reheated, at home, out with friends… it’s one of my all time favorite comfort foods.
Did you ever watch the Seinfeld episode where they aren’t allowed to buy soup anymore? I always get so frustrated when people have food to eat, on a show, and they can’t. I don’t know why it bothers me so much. But, it does. I think I would be devastated if I had to wait one year to come back for soup.
Do you like fennel? I didn’t think I did. But, I’ve discovered that I do. Especially in Mac and Cheese, roasted, andÃ‚ in soups.
IÃ‚ have recently tried fennel pollen, from Pollen Ranch. Abundant Harvest OrganicsÃ‚ is going to start selling it as an add on and they sent me some to try. So far I’ve used it on Roasted Fennel Pollen Potatoes, onÃ‚ Savory Baked French Toast, and in today’s Chowder. It adds this great, “je ne said quoi” to a dish.
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb. Mahi Mahi, cut into 1″ pieces
- 3-4 C potatoes, cut into 1/4″ cubes
- 1 1/2 C carrots, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- 1 T All Purpose flour (for GF: 1 T cornstarch)
- 1/4 C cold water
- 2 1/2 to 3 C hot water
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 1 t lemon juice
- 3/4 C milk
- 2 T cream
- pinch to 1/4 t fennel pollen
- Heat soup pot. Add olive oil. When oil is hot, add fish and cook, over med-low heat for 3 minutes. Add veggies, salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium, and cook covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar, stir to deglaze the pan (scrape off any browned bits from the bottom).
- Whisk together flour and 1/4 C water. Add to soup pot. Stir. Add hot water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook 15-20 minutes, or until veggies are tender and fish is cooked.
- Remove from heat and add milk, cream, and fennel pollen. Stir. Add lemon. Stir. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Here are some menu planning ideas using the contents of this weekÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s AHO box!
Powered by Facebook Comments