Mac and Cheese with Roasted Veggies – In the Kitchen with Rachel O – Video
I’ve said it time and timeÃ‚ and time andÃ‚ time again. Pasta is one of my go-to meals for a quick and easy dinner. It has come to the rescue many times. It just happens, doesn’t it? The dinner hour arrives and there’s nothing to eat… dun dun dun.
Usually my solution is to boil some salted water for pasta and sautÃƒ© some veggies. But, this time, I thought that it might be nice to get a little more creative.
One of my favorite, all time best, totally the yummiestÃ‚ ways to eat veggies is when they are roasted. Don’t even get me started on how they taste… Ok do. They get kinda sweet, a bit nutty, crispy outside, tender inside. I can eat a whole pan by myself. No joke. I usually make extra because I know how much I want on my plate, and I know that I have to share with Tim. Yes, I’m selfish that way. I don’t like to share my roasted veggies.
I liked shells for this dish, but I think elbows would be delicious, rotini could be amazing, maybe even orzo would be good… You get it. Use the pasta that you and your family love best. I just like the shells because the sauce seems to get trapped and makes each bite so much yummier. Oh, and also, they’re multi-colored and they look fun.
Maybe it’s a pasta night tonight. There are endless ways to make it great.
- 1 small head garlic, top sliced off
- drizzle of olive oil (for garlic)
- 3 C summer squash, cut into large chunks
- 1 1/2 C tomato, cut into large chunks
- 1 C onion, cut into large chunks
- olive oil (for veggies)
- salt (for veggies)
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T all purpose flour
- 2 C milk
- 1/2 C pasta water
- 1 to 1 1/2 C cheese (pepper jack and parmesan)
- to taste, salt
- to taste, pepper
- 1 t unsalted butter
- Pre-heat oven to 375F.
- Drizzle garlic with olive oil and wrap in foil. Place on a baking sheet a roast for 15 minutes.
- Toss veggies with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add to garlic baking sheet and continue to bake for about 25-30 minutes more.
- Cook pasta, reserving 1/2 C starchy water for sauce before draining.
- Heat a medium pot. Add 2 T olive oil. When hot, whisk in flour. Cook for 30-60 seconds. Slowly add milk, a little at a time, whisking and letting it thicken between additions. Heat until steam rises, but do not boil (sauce may break). Add pasta water.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cheese, a bit at a time. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mash 6 cloves of roasted garlic and whisk into sauce. Stir in butter. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Combine pasta with veggies and sauce. Let it stand a few minutes before serving.