Sliders with Caramelized Onions and Gorgonzola – In the Kitchen with Rachel O – Video
Written by Rachel, Posted in Appetizers, Beef, Cheese, Dinner, In the Kitchen with Rachel O, Main Dishes, Meat, Sides, Snacks, Vegetables
What can I really say about Sliders? I mean, how many ways can I say delicious? I love a good burger. I really love a good slider… because then I get to eat more than one!! (Plus, they’re little and cute.)
I think it’s fun to get creative with food. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a pickle, mustard, and onionÃ‚ burger. You know, the usual. But, let’s try something else.
You know how delectable caramelized onions are on a crostini with melty gorgonzola? You do know this, right? If not, stop reading and make a quick snack. You’ve got to try these flavors together. Ok, now that you’re back, let’s discuss the sweet caramelized onions and how well they pair with tangy gorgonzola. Is your mind blown? I know. I’ve been there. (Another mind blowing option: gorgonzola, roasted figs, baguette, and honey. Do this. Go there. You gotta!)
If you are not the biggest fan of gorgonzola, Tim can sympathize. I made his without. But with mustard and pickles. That’s cool. Cool cool cool. We don’t have to have the exact same taste in food.
Caramelized onions are one of my favorite things. Does it ever just flabbergast you that this vegetable, so pungent, so intense, could ever be mellowed out? I’m amazed at what a little heat and some honey can do. I’m glad that we don’t just have to eat bland, flavorless, boring food. That’d be so lame. I’m totally not into that. I want big, bold flavors. I want surprising new tastes (um, I don’t mean like tryingÃ‚ Bertie Bott’s Every FlavourÃ‚ Beans, where you expect lemon and get rotten egg). I crave the experience of enjoying food.
For all this, we have Sliders topped with caramelized onions and gorgonzola. C’est trÃƒ¨sÃ‚ trÃƒ¨sÃ‚ bon.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 T honey
- pinch dried thyme
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 1/4 t salt
- pinch pepper
- 1/4 t thyme
- 1 T olive oil
- Gorgonzola cheese, sliced
- 6 mini burger buns, halved
- Add onion, pinch thyme, and honey to a dry skillet. Cook over low heat for 25-30 minutes, or until onions are caramelized.
- Combine beef, vinegar, salt, pepper, and thyme in a bowl. Mix with hands (do not over mix). Shape into 6 small patties. Press thumb into center to create a small indent.
- Heat skillet. Add oil. When hot, add patties, and cook over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes. Flip, and cook covered, for 3-5 minutes more, or until a meat thermometer registers 160F.
- Remove from heat. Top with gorgonzola and cover. Let stand for a few minutes.
- Serve on a bun topped with caramelized onions.