Chicken Pot Pie – Episode 10
Today I celebrate 10 episodes of A Cooking Show with Rachel O – This Week’s Feast! For this episode I made Chicken Pot Pie (complete with Homemade Pie Crust). It was delicious. And, it’s pretty easy, even the crust. Really! It features chicken (obviously), potatoes, carrots, parsnips, broccoli, cauliflower, green garlic, onion, and peas. Most of these things were in my Abundant Harvest Organics box this week.
For the pie crust, I used a recipe from a blogger that I follow named, Marie, whose blog is The French Market Maven. I’ve made this crust once before, and after making it this second time, it is now my go-to recipe for pie crust.
This is a special episode, being the 10th. And, it’s the perfect time to introduce you to a special something new from my musician friend Molly Jenson. It’s in the episode. I hope you enjoy it… I sure do! (Thanks, Molly J!!)
Hope you enjoy this dinner as much as we did!
|Chicken Pot Pie||
- 1 pie crust
- 1/2 C onion, rough chop
- 1 C broccoli, rough chop
- 1/2 C cauliflower, rough chop
- 1 carrot, rough chop
- 1 parsnip, rough chop
- 1 green garlic (or regular garlic), rough chop
- 1 C potatoes (I used leftovers), 1″ cubes
- 1 C peas (frozen)
- 1 t dried parsley
- 1 t dried basil
- 1 t sweet paprika
- 1/2 t rosemary
- 1/2 to 1 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 T spicy brown mustard
- 1 1/2 C chicken stock
- 1/2 C milk
- 1 t lemon juice
- 4 T olive oil
- 2 T flour
- 1 1/2 – 2 C chicken, cooked and shredded (I used leftovers from a chicken I made in the Crock Pot)
- Heat pan (I used a cast iron so I could put it into the oven) and add 2 T olive oil. Add all veggies except garlic, peas, potatoes (unless you’re using raw potatoes, then add them now). Cook 5-10 minutes over medium heat, or until veggies are tender. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Move veggies to one side, add remaining olive oil, and whisk flour into it. Cook about 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in milk and stock. Bring to a boil and let thicken.
- Remove from heat. Add seasonings, mustard, peas, chicken, potatoes, and lemon juice. Top with crust (be careful – pan will be hot!!) (if you didn’t cook in an oven-proof pan, no problem, transfer filling to a greased pie plate) and crimp around edges.
- Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes, until crust is done.
Veggies can be swapped out depending on what’s in season (or in your fridge). Some other things that would be good: butternut squash, pumpkin, turnip, rutabaga, spinach, sweet potatoes…
I served this with a Warm Arugula and Orange Salad.
|Warm Arugula and Orange Salad||
- 1 bunch arugula
- 1/4 C red onion
- 1 orange, cut in pieces
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 T honey
- Heat olive oil in pan. Add onion and cook 2-3 min. Add honey, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook 2 minutes.
- Arugula on plate, top with orange. Pour dressing over.