Strawberry-Balsamic Tart – Episode 64
Written by Rachel, Posted in A Cooking Show with Rachel O, Abundant Harvest Organics, Appetizers, Baking, Breakfast, Brunch, Dessert, Fruit, Nuts, Roasting, Snacks, This Week's Feast, Vegetarian
I love to cook. That’s not a secret. I’m better at it than some, much worse than others. I fail and I succeed.
I made some Fish Tacos the other week. They were a definite fail. But, today, my friends, was a good cooking day because of a little thing called Tart (it might actually be more of a dessert pizza, but I like the word tart, so that’s what I’m calling it).
It surprised me with it’s deliciousness. I love surprises. But, usually culinary ones are more along the lines of “Wow! That’s really gross,” or “Darn, the pan with the sauce for today’s main dish fell on the floor”… You know what I mean?
But this tart, this little Strawberry-Balsamic Tart, is the good kind of surprise.
Strawberries get all melty and soft when they’re roasted. Reduced balsamic vinegar is syrupy and thick. Pizza crust is thin and crispy. Walnuts are slightly toasted and crunchy. Onions are caramely and sweet. And, maybe the most surprising ingredient, black pepper, adds just the right tiny kick of spice.
Be still my heart.
I can’t stop thinking about this tart.
It was love at first bite.
I ate this on its own for lunch… and had a hard time not eating the entire thing by myself. However, should you want to share, I think it would be great alongside a Spinach Salad topped with Shredded Chicken (use leftover Roasted Chicken), Walnuts, and Strawberries. It could be a brunch food – how about with the Spring Frittata I made a few weeks ago?! Or maybe serve it as an appetizer? Why not?! You could also also also serve it with a dollop of vanilla ice cream and call it dessert.
Ready? Set. Go!
- 1 T butter, divided, melted
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled, and quartered lengthwise
- pinch nutmeg
- 1-2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 T honey
- pinch salt
- 1/2 C balsamic vinegar
- 1 pizza crust
- 1/4 C coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 C raw walnuts, coarsely chopped
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425F. Melt butter.
- In a hot, dry skillet, add onions, honey, and salt. Cook over medium-low for about 15-20 minutes, or until they are caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- While onions cook, in a small saucepan, bring vinegar to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until thickened and syrupy, about 12-18 minutes (being careful not to let it burn).
- Meanwhile, roll out pizza crust. Par bake for 5 minutes.
- Toss strawberries with 1/2 T melted butter and nutmeg.
- Brush crust with 1/2 T melted butter. Sprinkle with sugar and press into crust slightly (with a spatula or fingers). Top with onions, walnuts, strawberries, and black pepper. Bake for 7-9 minutes (or according to your pizza dough's recipe instructions), or until crust is done.
- Let stand for a few minutes.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar. If you can wait that long, serve at room temperature. If not, I totally understand. 😉
This episode is sponsored by: Abundant Harvest Organics, Waterfall Creative, Molly Jenson.