And Then There Were 60 – Episode 60
It is spring. It’s time for asparagus and sugar snap peas, tank tops and flip flops, BBQs and Burgers. I like spring. I like the leaves that are greeting us with their green cheer, and the blossoms that mean fruit is just around the corner.
I do not like the allergies that come with spring. But, sinceÃ‚ spring means that the baseball season is about to start, allergies schmallergies.
On this lovely spring day, I used eggs from Burroughs Family Farms. They are the best eggs. (If you’re an Abundant Harvest Organics subscriber, you can buy them from the add ons list, same with Bari’s awesome, so awesome, olive oil.) They have these amazing bring orangey-yellow yolks and incredibly hard shells. Wowza! I combined them with just a few springy ingredients for this simple Frittata: asparagus, mushrooms, green garlic, potatoes, fresh parsley, and leeks. Toss in a bit of salt and pepper, and you’re almost ready to eat.
Welp, that’s 60 episodes done done done. Thanks for watching and being a part of this yummy journey.
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 large leek, chopped
- 1 stalk green garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch (about 20) asparagus, ends trimmed, chopped
- 1-2 T fresh parsley, rough chopped
- 1/2 to 1 t salt
- 1/8 t pepper
- 1/2 C milk
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 C parmesan cheese, grated
- Pre-heat oven to 375F.
- Heat ovenproof skillet. Add olive oil. Add potatoes and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook covered, over medium-low or low heat for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender.
- Add asparagus, leek, and mushrooms. Cook uncovered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until the veggies are tender.
- Add green garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Whisk eggs with milk, salt, pepper, and parsley. Turn heat to medium-low and add eggs to pan. Stir once. Cook for 1 minute, stir again, then cook for 3-5 minutes, or until eggs are starting to set.
- Sprinkle with cheese and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the eggs are set.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Here are some ideas for what to do with the contents of this week’s Abundant Harvest Organics box!
Note: you may want to oil your pan a little more than I did. I have a bit of a time cleaning it, but it was worth it (stuck on cleaning in a Cast Iron skillet requires oil, salt, a paper towel or cloth, and lots of elbow grease).