I’m Ready for Christmas and some Vegan Roasted Cauliflower and Potato Soup
Warning: Use of undefined constant linklove - assumed 'linklove' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/0/d239794658/htdocs/rachel/wp-content/plugins/facebook-comments-plugin/class-frontend.php on line 98
I’m ready. So so so ready for Christmas. Most of our shopping was finished in Paris, and the gifts are wrapped and under the tree. (Speaking of Paris, I can’t wait to share about our trip, in the new year!) There’s egg nog in the fridge (not for me, but Tim loves it), and cider to heat up each night, to be drunk by the light of the Christmas tree. I love this season.
We Skyped with my family on Sunday. That’s when they did Christmas morning. We can’t be there every year, which is hard for me, but that’s what happens when you live far away. So I take the moments I can get. My favorite from Sunday was our niece, Anja, who is 15 months old, giving us (and the laptop she was looking at) kisses, over and over and over. My heart nearly burst with happiness. I will treasure that memory always.
Even though we won’t be traveling to see my family, Tim’s family is not as far away, and we are looking forward to spending time with them. And then, my youngest brother and his sweet girlfriend are coming to visit us. We have weeks full of fun planned with these special family members, and some dear friends.
In light of all the festivities, I will be taking the next two weeks off to play.
Since I’m smitten with soup, it seemed appropriate to share a great recipe with you to close out the year.
It’s a Vegan Roasted Cauliflower and Potato Soup. Veggies are roasted to deepen their flavor. Hot sauce is added for a hint of spice. And coconut milk is used for a creaminess. Then it’s all blended up to make a nice, happy, soupy dinner that is dairy-free, vegan, gluten-free, and vegetarian. I served it with some of our favorite biscuits.
With that, dear friends, I bid you good eating, Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and wishes for a most wonderful New Year.
- 3-4 C potato, large chunks
- 1 onion, large chunks
- 2 large red radishes, large chunks
- 10-12 C cauliflower, large chunks
- 1 small head garlic
- olive oil
- to taste, salt
- to taste, pepper
- 6-8 C water or vegetable stock
- 2-3 C coconut milk (almond milk would work too)
- 1 t of your favorite hot sauce
- pinch chili powder
- pinch ginger
- 4 t red wine vinegar
- 1/2 t lemon balsamic vinegar
- to taste salt
- to taste pepper
- olive oil, for serving
- Pre-heat the oven to 375F.
- Toss veggies with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place on two baking sheets (keep onions in one section in case they’re done sooner and you need to remove them).
- Cut top off the head of garlic, drizzle with olive oil, and wrap in foil. Place on one of the veggie baking sheets.
- Roast veggies for about 45 minutes, or until tender inside, slightly crispy outside.
- Bring water/stock to a boil. Add veggies, milk, hot sauce, seasonings, and vinegars. Cook for a few minutes.
- Blend with a hand blender (or in batches in a regular blender, with the middle plug removed and the lid covered with a clean towel) until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve topped with a drizzle of your favorite olive oil.
Powered by Facebook Comments