Things Just Got Beety – Episode 48
I Skype with my family once a week. I think I may have mentioned this before… In any case, most Skype chats end up with mom and I discussing food. She asks what I’ve made for dinner, and we talk about the things she’s made for her various groups (she and my dad have a banquet hall where they host groups and cook them amazing dinners).
Last week Mom told me about this Beet Salad that she’d made. She made it sound so good that I asked her to send me the recipe. When I read the recipe, it sounded so good that I thought I should make it for my show, since I knew we were getting beets in our Abundant Harvest Organics box this week.
I don’t always know what to do with beets. I love them in Borscht, but to be honest, I have a hard time finding ways to make them that I like.
I don’t feel that way anymore.
This salad is not only beautiful to look at, but it’s delicious! Thanks, Mom, for this wonderful recipe!
The true test will come in a few minutes when I find out if Husband likes it. 😉
(Update: I wrote this post after I’d filmed on Tuesday. It’s now Wednesday, so we’ve already eaten the salad. The verdict from Husband: “I liked it more than I thought I would.” High praise coming from someone who only likes beets in Borscht and in general doesn’t really love them.)
This salad would be perfect for a holiday party! It looks super fancy and tastes great but, it’s pretty easy to make. We had it for dinner along with Roast Beef and some Garlic Bread. It could also go well with a Roast Beef Crostini, alongside the Poor Man’s Roosevelt Pizza, or Mindy’s Gorgonzola and Honey Crostini… And if you have leftovers, you could turn them into Wilt ‘Em Greens with Beets, Borscht, or Scalloped Root Veggies with Gorgonzola! Good idea? Good idea.
- 2-3 medium beets (I halved them for roasting)
- 4 T olive oil
- 1 t lemon juice (I used orange juice)
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 T honey
- 1 T dijon mustard
- 1/2 t dried thyme
- 1/2 t garlic (I used 1/8 t garlic powder)
- 1/4 t salt (my addition)
- bit of pepper (also me)
- 1 C almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 T butter
- 2 T honey
- 4-8 C greens (I used beet greens and spinach)
- 1/4 C feta cheese (I didn’t have feta, so I used parmesan, Gorgonzola or Blue cheese would also be yummy)
- Wash and halve beets. Bake at 350F for 45-70 minutes, or until tender, but not mushy.
- When cool enough to handle, peel and julienne (cut to look like matchsticks).
- Whisk together lemon or orange juice, vinegar, 1 T honey, dijon, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stream in olive oil and whisk, creating an emulsion.
- Combine beets with dressing. Let flavors meld for about 3 hours before serving (I tasted it right away and it was good too).
- Heat almonds with butter and honey to coat and thicken slightly. Cool (if they get too solid, re-heat).
- Top greens with beet mixture, cheese, and almonds.
This dish can be found on Tuesday of this week’s menu.
This episode is sponsored by