So, I Guess I Like Beets – Episode 54
I am coo-coo for roasted veggies. Seriously, I just love them. I have yet to find one that I don’t like, and probably prefer, roasted… Maybe radicchio… if I remember correctly that didn’t turn out so well for me. Ok, so all but radicchio have been happy successes.
With that taken care of, let’s talk about beets. Sometimes, I’ll admit, I have a hard time handling the… earthiness of them. Buuut, if cooked properly, I sure do enjoy them.
So I made Beet Chips. Boom, done, roasted.
I put them on a salad. I ate my helping of the salad, and then I picked all the rest of them out of the bowl of leftovers and ate those too. Along with all the bacon. What?! I don’t like soggy bacon.
Bacon. It is one of my favorite of all the foods in all the world. But not just any bacon. I’m a super bacon snob (does that sentence sound like I’m saying that I’m a SUPER bacon snob?). If I’m gonna eat it, it’s gotta be crispy crispy crispy, and so tasty.
There are lots of really great things about this salad. I could go on and on and on and on and… But, I’ll just mention a few goodies: pistachios (lean protein, vitamin A, folic acid), apples (vitamin A), oranges (vitamin C, folic acid, calcium), and greens (vitamin A, calcium, potassium)*.
I turned to The Flavor Bible, once again, to help with the creation of this dish. I use this book ALL THE TIME! It’s amazing, seriously. (And, sneak peak alert! There maybe, possible, I think pretty for sure, will be a giveaway of this book happening here, reeeally soon. Maybe. Who knows. You’ll have to wait and see.)
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 1/2 C mache
- 1 1/2 C beet greens
- 4 large navel oranges, peeled and chopped
- 1 apple, chopped (toss with orange juice so they don’t turn brown)
- 1/4 C feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 C pistachios, chopped
- Beet Chips
- Buttermilk Dressing
- Cook bacon. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel. Cool, then crumble.
- Top greens with oranges, apples, feta, bacon, pistachios, and beet chips. Toss with dressing.
This recipe was inspired by a salad my friend, Christy, told me about. 🙂
- 2-4 small beets, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 t olive oil
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375F. Toss beets with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Lay on a baking sheet and bake for 10-13 minutes, or until beets are slightly crispy and tender.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- 2 T lemon juice
- pinch t salt
- pinch t pepper
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 t dijon
- 1 T white vinegar
- 1/2 C milk (or 1/2 C buttermilk and omit vinegar)
- 1/2 T honey
- Pour vinegar into a measuring cup. Add milk and fill to 1/2 C line. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in lemon juice, salt, pepper, dijon, and honey. Stream in olive oil, whisking as you do.
Here are some menu planning ideas using the contents of this weekÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s AHO box!