Wilt ‘Em Greens
Wilt ‘Em Greens
Recipe Type: Side, Greens, Stove Top, Wilting, Vegetables
I just love Wilted Greens! Beautiful kale, spinach, and radicchio are wilted down, some onions and Spanish black radishes are sautÃƒ©ed, then it’s all topped with crispy bacon and crunchy almonds. A perfect side dish!
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1-2 T garlic infused (or regular) olive oil
- 1 onion, diced or chopped
- 1/2 C black spanish radish (or other kind of radish), peeled and grated
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 t maple syrup
- 1 t dijon mustard
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch cayenne
- 3 C spinach, roughly chopped or torn (could also use swiss chard, collard greens, beet greens, or any other greens you love)
- 3 C kale, roughly chopped or torn (any kind of kale)
- 1 1/2 C radicchio, chopped
- 1/4 C roasted almonds, roughly chopped (for topping)
- Place bacon in cold pan, cook until crispy. Remove with slotted spoon and set on a paper towel to drain.
- Either discard bacon grease from pan and add 2 T olive oil, or leave about 1 T bacon grease and add 1 T olive oil. Heat and add onion and radish. Cook 3-5 minutes, or until softened, over medium heat.
- Remove stems from greens, wash well, and dry.
- Add vinegar, maple syrup, dijon, and seasonings to the onion pan. Stir, then add all the radicchio and some of the greens, wilting down and tossing, then adding more greens and repeating until they are all gone. Turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Once all greens are wilted, taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve topped with bacon and almonds.