Chunky Vegetable Soup
Warning: Use of undefined constant linklove - assumed 'linklove' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/0/d239794658/htdocs/rachel/wp-content/plugins/facebook-comments-plugin/class-frontend.php on line 98
When in doubt, soup! I almost always want to eat soup. In hot weather and cold weather, on weeknights or at dinner parties… give me soup and I’ll be happy with my meal.
Soup is a great way to use up whatever you’ve got hanging around in the crisper drawers of the fridge too. Sometimes there are forgotten turnips and beets in there that are given a new chance at life in soup. Way yummier than tossing them in the compost or using them for stock.
This week I had things like leeks, spinach, sweet potatoes, peas, and rutabagas on hand. But, you could add or substitute with onions, shallots, kohlrabi, carrots, turnips, radishes, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, or winter squash.
So many options!
I wanted to add a little more protein and even more texture to this soup, so I also added beans. I was in the mood for kidney, but black, white, or cannellini would also be fab. And when we get into spring, fava beans would be amazing! I love beans in soup.
This soup makes for a great lunch or dinner. It’s wonderful with homemade croissants, apple-cheese toasts, or just on its own with a squeeze of lemon and a good book.
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 C leek/onion/shallot, chopped
- 5 C any: kohlrabi, carrot, rutabaga, turnip, winter squash, brussels sprouts, cabbage, collards, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, potatoes, radish; peeled, if warranted, chopped
- to taste salt
- dash cayenne (or may use 1/2 to 1 small hot pepper, ribs and seeds removed, minced)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T rice vinegar
- 7 C veggie stock
- 1 t fresh thyme (or 1/4 t dried)
- 1/2 t dried rosemary (or 1/2 T fresh)
- 2 T fresh basil (or 2 t dried)
- to taste pepper
- 2 C greens (kale, spinach, chard, mustard greens, mizuna, bok choy... anything that you have on hand will work), chopped
- 1 1/2 C beans (black, kidney, white, cannellini)
- 1 C peas (frozen, or shelled fresh peas or fava beans)
- lemon wedges, for serving
- good olive oil, for serving
- Heat a soup pot over medium-low. Add olive oil. Add leek-cayenne (if you're using dried herbs you may add them now too). Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes, or until the veggies are getting tender. Add garlic and vinegar and cook for 1 minute more. Add the stock through pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the greens, beans, and peas and cook for 3 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with a squeeze of lemon and a drizzle of olive oil.
Powered by Facebook Comments