Roasted Turnips with Bacon – Episode 29
For this week’s episode, I wanted to use turnips. I also wanted to use some more of the pork I was given by Llano Seco Organic Pork. So I did.
First of all, turnips – cute, little, kinda spicy. I roasted them, which kinda mellows their flavor. I paired them with bacon. Win, win. I heart bacon. Big time. Usually when I cook bacon I make the whole package so I can
eat all the leftovers freeze the leftovers to use in other meals. Secondly, let’s get back to the meat for a second. Have you tried anything from Llano Seco? They have a few items available on the add-ons list from Abundant Harvest Organics, like sausage (that I used in last week’s episode – guys, this stuff is YUMMY!), bacon, and ham! I’ve tried them all. THEY. ARE. GREAT!! I’ve seen on Facebook that you can find them at the Chico and Fort Mason markets. It would be worth a visit.
With the leftovers from this dish, you could make: Pork Tacos (easy – taco shells, cheese, lettuce, tomato, salsa, yogurt/sour cream, pork… GO!), Salad (peaches or nectarines, lettuce, almonds, pork, raisins, dressing), Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Pulled Pork Pizza, Sandwich (sliced pork, lettuce, Gruyère, dijon, mayo, bread – Tim had this for lunch today and he sent me a text saying how amazing it was – I love hearing that).
Another fun thing in this episode: I used my new hand blender from KitchenAid to grind the almonds. I’m so excited about this blender! I’ve used it a few times now, and am working on a review of it, but I just wanted to mention to you that I’m trying out this wonderful new product. I’ll tell you more about it at another time. I can’t wait!
- 1 T unsalted butter, melted
- 1 T honey
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 3-4 small turnips, chopped in 8-10 pieces
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Cook bacon. Remove with slotted spoon and set on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Crumble when cool.
- Whisk butter, salt, and pepper together. Toss with turnips.
- Place turnips on baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and toss with honey. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes, or until turnips are crispy outside, tender inside. (Keep an eye on them so honey doesn't burn.)
- Toss with bacon and serve.
- 1 pork leg, trimmed of fat
- 2 T unsalted butter, softened (at room temperature is perfect)
- 2 T honey
- 3 T almonds, ground
- 1/2 to 1 T freshly ground black pepper
- 1 t salt
- 1 C water
- Pre-heat oven to 275F.
- Combine butter through salt in a small bowl. Rub over both sides of pork.
- Place pork in a greased oven-proof dish. Pour water around pork. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 2 hours (or until internal temperature reaches at least 165F). Remove foil. Increase temperature of oven to 350F. Bake 30 minutes more.
- Tent with foil and let rest 15-30 minutes or so before slicing.