You Say Potato?… So Do I – Episode 24
There was a recipe in the Abundant Harvest Organics newsletter a couple of weeks ago for German Style Potato Salad. I adapted that recipe for this episode. I wasn’t necessarily trying to make it better. I’m sure it was great the way it was. I changed it to fit with what was in this week’s box andÃ‚ what I had in my garden.
I did some research about things that went well togetherÃ‚ (using my handy dandy Flavor Bible), and voilÃƒ , my version!
Even though there wasn’t oregano in this week’s AHO box, I have some in my garden (yay my garden!!). My adaptation was inspired by oregano, because, oregano goes well with many things that were in the box. Like, bell peppers (which are good with bacon, onions, garlic, tomatoes), tomatoes, potatoes, summer squash (which is good with bell peppers, garlic, olive oil, onions, oregano, tomatoes, black pepper), onions. I added a few other things and gave it a try. I’m happy with how it turned out.
If you don’t have any oregano in your fridge or garden, you could use dried, or visit your local farmers’ market for fresh.
This would be super duper yummy alongside BBQ’d Chicken, BBQ’d Sausages (or however you like to cook em’), BBQ’d Steak, Burgers, BBQ’d Tri Tip or Brisket, Ribs, a BLT or any other delicious sandwich (hello picnic!), with some Dill Pickles (ooh, you could make your own using the dill from this week’s box), Salt and Vinegar Chips (my fave – I could eat a whole bag by myself in one sitting… not kidding), Fruit Salad, and Mint Iced Tea or Sparkling Pink Lemonade. I think I just came up with the menu for at least one of our meals this coming holiday weekend. Picnic here we come! Is it too soon to pack the picnic basket? It is, isn’t it.
|German Style Potato Salad – Adapted by Rachel O||
- 4-6 potatoes
- 3 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 T flour
- 1/3 C red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 t honey
- 2 T fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- pinch cayenne
- 1/2 t paprika
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T plus 2 t salt
- 1 lg. spring onion
- 3/4 C stock (chicken or veggie)
- 1 T plus 1 t Dijon mustard
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1 1/2 C summer squash, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- Place potatoes in large pan and cover with cold water and 2 T salt. Bring to a boil. Cook until tender.
- Cook bacon over med heat. Remove from pan and set aside (try not to eat it all while you cook the rest of the dish!). Drain all but 2 T bacon grease.
- Add onion, bell pepper, summer squash and cook 3 minutes. Add garlic, cook 1 minute. Move veggies to one side of pan, let oil come to the other. Whisk in flour (add more bacon grease if needed).
- Whisk in stock, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt, pepper, cayenne, and paprika. Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Mix oregano leaves with 2 T olive oil.
- Cut cooked and cooled potatoes into cubes or slices.
- Combine vinegar mixture with potatoes and toss to coat.
- Pour oregano oil over potatoes and toss.
- Serve topped with bacon and tomato.
To make this recipe Gluten Free: Omit flour and add 1 T corn starch whisked with 1/4 C cold water. Mix cornstarch mixture in at the same point in the recipe.
Would be wonderful with something cooked on the BBQ!
This dish can be found on Tuesday of this week’s menu!