German Style Potato Salad – Adapted by Rachel O
|German Style Potato Salad – Adapted by Rachel O||
- 4-6 potatoes
- 3 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 T flour
- 1/3 C red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 t honey
- 2 T fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- pinch cayenne
- 1/2 t paprika
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T plus 2 t salt
- 1 lg. spring onion
- 3/4 C stock (chicken or veggie)
- 1 T plus 1 t Dijon mustard
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1 1/2 C summer squash, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- Place potatoes in large pan and cover with cold water and 2 T salt. Bring to a boil. Cook until tender.
- Cook bacon over med heat. Remove from pan and set aside (try not to eat it all while you cook the rest of the dish!). Drain all but 2 T bacon grease.
- Add onion, bell pepper, summer squash and cook 3 minutes. Add garlic, cook 1 minute. Move veggies to one side of pan, let oil come to the other. Whisk in flour (add more bacon grease if needed).
- Whisk in stock, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt, pepper, cayenne, and paprika. Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Mix oregano leaves with 2 T olive oil.
- Cut cooked and cooled potatoes into cubes or slices.
- Combine vinegar mixture with potatoes and toss to coat.
- Pour oregano oil over potatoes and toss.
- Serve topped with bacon and tomato.
To make this recipe Gluten Free: Omit flour and add 1 T corn starch whisked with 1/4 C cold water. Mix cornstarch mixture in at the same point in the recipe.
Would be wonderful with something cooked on the BBQ!