Simple Mashed Potatoes
|Simple Mashed Potatoes||
- 4 medium-large potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
- water (enough to fill to just below or at steamer basket bottom)
- 1 t salt, to taste
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 C milk (or more, if you want them creamier – 1 C was perfect for me)
- Pour cold water into a medium or large pot. Fill to just below or at steamer basket bottom.
- Place steamer basket in pot and fill with quartered potatoes.
- Steam, covered, until soft, about 25-30 minutes (potatoes should pierce easily with a fork).
- Remove potatoes from pot and place in a bowl (or back into dried out pot, or stand mixer). Add milk, salt, and olive oil. Mash to desired consistency (using a potato masher, hand blender, stand mixer…).
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
These are simple, basic mashed potatoes. You could add: pepper, chives, parsley, roasted garlic, cheese, bacon, butter, or anything else that sounds yummy. You could, of course, also top them with gravy (but, alongside the chicken, I didn’t think they needed any).