Uncle Jake’s Back Ribs
|Uncle Jake’s Back Ribs|
Recipe Type: Ribs, Grilling, BBQ, Main
Cook time: 3 hours
Total time: 3 hours
Uncle Jake’s amazing ribs!
- Ribs: I like to use 3-4 ribs if a side dish and a rack of 6-8 for main meal. WhatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s left over is great the second day for a snack or the evening munchies!!!!
- Chicken broth
- Rub: 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika ( 2 if not using smoked paprika)
- 1 tsp cayenne (2 if more heat wanted)
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Sauce: Ã‚½ cup fancy molasses
- Ã‚½ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- Calculate the amount of ribs. If they are sized well cut them into single ribs if smaller cut them into 2s.
- Get a roasting dish or 2 or 3 depending on the number of folks coming and lay them meaty side down.
- Lightly salt and pepper the bone side and then fill so that the ribs are covered mid point with a chicken broth. Then cover with a foil and place in the over at 275 degrees F for 3 hrs. Rotate ribs after 2 hrs and bake meaty side up for the last hr.
- Stir rub ingredients together. Put contents into an empty spice container with the larger holes and this will serve you well when applying the rub. I triple this recipe and then have this rub for the next rib meal. Also tastes good when barbecuing chicken as an added flavor. Mix sauce ingredients well in a bowl. Once again I triple this recipe and put it into a retired plastic ketchup bottle. This will work well when applying sauce.
- Once ribs have been braised over the 3 hrs. Drain remaining broth into a container. This is still good for future broth needs.
- Take out a baking pan and line it with your foil cover. Place ribs on pan side by side, meaty side down and apply rub. Rotate ribs to meaty side up and repeat.
- Set oven temp at 400 F and cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
- The final touch has 2 options – barbecue or bake. Bake: Set oven to 425F. Baste ribs with sauce cook uncovered for 5 min-rotate ribs baste ribs and cook 5 min final rotate baste and cook for 5 min or till glazed. Barbecue: Set temp to med/high. Pay attention at this point not to blacken the ribs but just glaze them. The meat will be tender on the ribs at this point and can fall off the rib if it sticks to the grilling surface. Baste well and place on grill and rotate and baste again once glazed. I find starting with the meaty side up and last rotation meaty side down reduces the tendency for the meat to stick to the grill.
- Once done put in platter and enjoy.
- P.S. DonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t forget to give thanks.