Yes, I Put Broccoli on a Sandwich – Episode 58
I have created something.
I think it is wonderful.
Every ingredient is crucial here.
The egg, the broccoli diCicco, the parmesan cheese, the lemon juice, the green onion, the dijon mustard, the crusty sandwich roll… they all need to be together. Need.
Try the sandwich and you will understand why.
And add a little extra lemon juice as you eat. Oh boy! Oh boy!
I’m getting happy all over again as I remember this delicious lunch.Ã‚ I think it would also be divine at breakfast or brunch. Or dinner. Why the heck not!?
When you eat it, you could do as I did, hardly stopping to breathe, for fear the sandwich might disappear before you can finish it. Or, you could eat it like a normal human being. Whatever. The choice is yours.
I was going to say that if you don’t like roasted broccoli that you could substitute something else. But, then I realized that I don’t want to. This dish is created around broccoli, so broccoli it needs. If you don’t like roasted broccoli, all I can say is, I’m sorry. I think you’re missing out. And, also, I’m hungry for bacon. But, that’s not important right now.
This sandwich is.
Please eat it and enjoy it.
Oh happy day.
- 3-4 C broccoli diCicco (stems too!), cut into small pieces (regular broccoli could also work)
- 1/2 C broccoli diCicco leaves (spinach could also work)
- 2 t olive oil
- 1/8 to 1/4 t plus 1 pinch garlic sea salt (or regular sea salt) (or salt to taste)
- pepper, to taste
- 1/4 C green onion, chopped
- dijon mustard
- 2 oz. (1/8 C) parmesan cheese, grated
- lemon wedges
- crusty bread or rolls
- eggs (1 per serving)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Toss broccoli with 1 t olive oil, 1/4 t salt, and pepper. Pour onto a baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes (or until it’s slightly crispy).
- Cook egg(s), sprinkled with a pinch of salt, covered, over low heat. Flip, if desired, turn off heat, and let it cook using residual heat from skillet (especially if you’re using a cast iron), until yolk is to desired doneness.
- Slice roll almost in half (leave one side attached) and scoop out a bit of the middle of the bread (save it to make croutons!). Top with mustard, broccoli, broccoli leaves, a squeeze of lemon, parmesan cheese, egg, and a little more parmesan cheese.
Here’s some tasty inspiration for the contents of this week’s Abundant Harvest Organics box.
Powered by Facebook Comments