Roasted Broccoli and Fried Egg Sandwich – Episode 58
I have created something.
I think it is wonderful.
Every ingredient is crucial here.
The egg, the broccoli diCicco, the parmesan cheese, the lemon juice, the green onion, the dijon mustard, the crusty sandwich roll… they all need to be together. Need.
Try the sandwich and you will understand why.
For extra goodness add a little extra lemon juice as you eat.
I’m getting happy all over again as I remember this delicious lunch. It could also be perfect for breakfast or dinner.
When you eat it, you could do as I did, hardly stopping to breathe, for fear the sandwich might disappear before you can finish it. Or, you could eat it like a normal human being. Whatever. The choice is yours.
I was going to say that if you don’t like roasted broccoli that you could substitute something else. But, then I realized that I don’t really want to. I created this dish is created around broccoli, so it’s obviously best with it. But, if you don’t like roasted broccoli (I’m sorry – I think you’re missing out), or don’t have broccoli on hand, try cauliflower or Brussels sprouts.
Oh happy day.
- 3-4 C broccoli diCicco (stems too!), cut into small pieces (regular broccoli could also work)
- 1/2 C broccoli diCicco leaves (spinach could also work)
- 2 t olive oil
- to taste garlic sea salt (or regular sea salt)
- to taste pepper
- 1/4 C green onion, chopped
- dijon mustard
- 2 oz. (1/8 C) parmesan cheese, grated
- lemon wedges
- crusty bread or rolls
- eggs (1 per serving)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Toss broccoli with 1 t olive oil, a bit of salt, and pepper. Pour onto a baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes (or until it's slightly crispy).
- Cook egg(s), sprinkled with a pinch of salt, covered, over low heat. Flip, if desired, turn off heat, and let it cook using residual heat from skillet (especially if you're using a cast iron), until yolk is to desired doneness.
- Slice roll almost in half (leave one side attached) and scoop out a bit of the middle of the bread (save it to make croutons!). Top with mustard, broccoli, broccoli leaves, a squeeze of lemon, parmesan cheese, egg, and a little more parmesan cheese.