Flatbreads, Not Flatbeds – Episode 59
Warning: Use of undefined constant linklove - assumed 'linklove' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/0/d239794658/htdocs/rachel/wp-content/plugins/facebook-comments-plugin/class-frontend.php on line 98
Sometimes I have the perfect idea for what to make for the show. Occasionally I have two, so the second has to wait. Since we don’t get the exact same ingredients in theÃ‚ Abundant Harvest Organics box two weeks in a row, the wait can be a while. But, alas, the broccoli AND cauliflower that I’ve been hoping for (ever since I chose to do my Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili,Ã‚ the week I got the butternut squash that I had been waiting for) has arrived!
I realize that I used broccoli in the last episode. But, I’m not upset about that. If they’d turned out gross, yeah, I’d have reconsidered my decision. But, they didn’t, so you can just add them both to your list of things to make, like, right now!
This week, to the broccoli I’ve added cauliflower. And, instead of roasting, I caramelized. I used Lavash (it’s like a flatbread/tortilla/notquiteapita ish bread). You could also use flatbreads, pizza dough, pitas, tortillas… you get it. I also added some shallot and green garlic to the mix. That was a good idea.
The best idea though, was the lemon.
I’m kinda obsessed with lemon right now.
Good thing it’s in season.
Broccoli + lemon = Oh boy!
It is essential to not only add some lemon to the sauce that gets drizzled over the bread before the veggies and cheese are added, buuuu-uut, right before you eat it, squeeze a little more over top. This is my favorite food-thing to do right now! It’s the simple things that make me happy I guess.
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy laughing at/with me as I throw cheese all over the place in this episode! I’ve watched that clip about 46 times. Your turn.
- 1 t butter
- 1/2 head (2 C) cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 bunch (2-3 C) broccoli diCicco (regular broccoli is fine too)
- 1 stalk green garlic, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- pinch salt
- 1 t sugar
- 2 Lavash flatbreads (pitas, tortillas, or a small pizza crust would work too)
- 1/2 C cheddar cheese
- 1/4 C parmesan cheese
- lemon wedges, for topping
- sauce: 1/4 to 1/2 t salt
- pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 t dijon mustard
- 2 t lemon juice
- 1 t red wine vinegar
- 1/4 t parsley, dried
- 1/4 t thyme, dried
- pinch cayenne
- 1-2 T olive oil
- Heat skillet. Add butter. Add veggies and a pinch of salt. Cook over low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sugar, stir, and continue to cook over low heat for 15-20 more minutes, or until veggies are caramelized.
- Whisk together sauce ingredients, streaming in olive oil last, as you whisk.
- Top flatbreads with the sauce, veggies, and cheese. Bake at 350F until the cheese is melted, about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with a lemon wedge to squeeze over before enjoying.
Here are some ways to use the contents of this week’s Abundant Harvest Organics box!!
Powered by Facebook Comments