Things That Make You Say MMMmm – Episode 57
I made this Chili 3 weeks ago. It was what we had for dinner the day I made Mache and Citrus Salad for the show. Husband asked if I’d made the Chili for the show. I said no. He practically yelled, “What?!! It’s so good!! You have to make this on your show!!”
Well, ok, if you feel that strongly about it!
Of course, after getting some form of winter squash in our Abundant Harvest OrganicsÃ‚ box almost every week for about the past 2 months (not a complaint. I love squash), the following two weeks were without squash. Figures, right!? Well, this week it’s baaaa-aaack. And I made Chili with it.
And then we ate it.
Oh happy day.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, and cut into 1/2″ to 1″ cubes
- 1 T butter
- 1 T plus 1 t olive oil, divided
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 T lemon juice, divided
- 1 T maple syrup
- dash t cayenne
- 1/4 t red pepper flakes
- pinch cumin
- 1 t plus 1/4 t salt, divided
- 1/4 t pepper
- 1/2 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 C vegetable stock
- 2 1/2 C black beans, cooked
- 1 T parmesan cheese/serving, grated, for topping
- lemon wedges, for topping
- 1/2 slice bacon/serving (opt.), cooked and crumbled
- Pre-heat oven to 375F. Toss squash with 1 t olive oil, 1/4 t salt, and a pinch of pepper. Roast on a baking sheet for 45-60 minutes, or until squash is tender (amount of time will vary depending on size of cubes). Check part way through roasting time to be sure it’s not burning. Rotate pan/flip squash if desired.
- Cook bacon. Drain on paper towel and discard grease. Set aside.
- Heat soup pot. Add butter and remaining oil and brown (being careful not to let it burn). Add salt, pepper, cayenne, red pepper flakes, cumin, onion, and carrot. Cook 10 minutes, covered, over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic. Stir and cook 1 minute. Add vinegar, 1/2 T lemon juice, and maple syrup. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add remaining lemon juice, beans, squash, and stock. Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil; cook 10 minutes. Turn heat down to low and cook 10 minutes more. Stir occasionally, and add more stock or water if needed.
- Serve topped with bacon, parmesan cheese, and a lemon wedge to squeeze over top.
Here are some yummy ideas for your menu this week!
Beets – Mom’s Roasted Beet Salad, Borscht, Beet and Beef Borscht,Ã‚ Mache and Citrus Salad, Roasted with Apples and Drizzled with Reduced Balsamic Vinegar, Beet Chips topped with Blue Cheese and Honey
Lettuce – Taco Salad, Mache and Citrus SaladÃ‚ (in place of Mache), Mom’s Roasted Beet Salad,Ã‚ Green Salad with Apple and Bacon, with Dijon and Lemon Dressing; Asian Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
Potatoes – Salmon with Garlic-Pistachio Cream Sauce andÃ‚ Roasted Fennel Pollen Potatoes,Ã‚ Beet and Beef Borscht,Ã‚ Potato Salad, Mom’s Potato Salad, Mashed, Mashed Potato Soup, Mahi Mahi, Fennel, and Potato Chowder, Roasted Potatoes with Herbs de Provence with Chicken Cordon Bleu avec Moutarde, Frittata, Roasted with Chicken and Honey Carrots, Roasted with Rosemary and Butter, Roasted with ChickenÃ‚ and Herbs de Provence
Spinach – Ã‚ Savory French Toast,Ã‚ Smoothie, Mache and Citrus SaladÃ‚ (in place of mache), Frittata, Mom’s Roasted Beet Salad,Ã‚ Wilt ‘Em Greens,Ã‚ Chick Pea and Spinach Quesadillas with ComtÃƒ© Cheese
Cauliflower -Ã‚ Caramelized Broccoli and Cauliflower Pizza, Risotto, Roasted, SautÃƒ©ed in Brown Butter, Salad with Hard Boiled Egg and Creamy Dressing
Winter Squash – Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili, Butternut Squash Pasta Carbonara, Roasted Vegetable Soup,Ã‚ Roasted Butternut Squash Soup,Ã‚ Winter SquashÃ‚ Crostini with GruyÃƒ¨re and Black Pepper,Ã‚ Roasted with Brown Butter, Ginger, and Garlic; Roasted with Rosemary and Olive Oil, Roasted with Sage and Butter
Apples – Smoothie, Mache and Citrus Salad,Ã‚ Apple and All Spice Pancakes, Raw,Ã‚ Roasted with Beets and Drizzled with Reduced Balsamic Vinegar, Apple and Bacon Green Salad with Dijon and Lemon Dressing
Carrots – Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili, Mahi Mahi, Fennel, and Potato Chowder,Ã‚ Browned Butter and Four Cheese Broccoli Soup,Ã‚ Roasted Vegetable Soup,Ã‚ Borscht, Beet and Beef Borscht, GruyÃƒ¨re and Apple Toasts,Ã‚ Raw, Broccoli Penne,Ã‚ Honey Carrots with Roast Chicken and Potatoes, SautÃƒ©ed Carrots and Peas with Chicken Parmesan, Spicy Carrots (with JalapeÃƒ±os),Ã‚ Frittata
Powered by Facebook Comments