Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili – Episode 57
Written by Rachel, Posted in A Cooking Show with Rachel O, Abundant Harvest Organics, Beans, Cheese, Dinner, Gluten Free, Legumes, Lunch, Main Dishes, Meat, Pork, Roasting, Soups, This Week's Feast, Vegetables
I made this Chili 3 weeks ago. It was what we had for dinner the day I made Mache and Citrus Salad for the show. Tim asked if I’d made the Chili for the show. I said no. He practically yelled, “What?!! It’s so good!! You have to make this on your show!!”
Well, ok, if you feel that strongly about it!
Of course, after getting some form of winter squash in our Abundant Harvest Organics‚ box almost every week for about the past 2 months (not a complaint. I love squash), the following two weeks were without squash. Figures, right!? Well, this week it’s baaaa-aaack. And I made Chili with it.
And then we ate it.
Oh happy day.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, and cut into ½" to 1" cubes
- 1 T butter
- 1 T plus 1 t olive oil, divided
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 T lemon juice, divided
- 1 T maple syrup
- dash t cayenne
- ¼ t red pepper flakes
- pinch cumin
- 1 t plus ¼ t salt, divided
- ¼ t pepper
- ½ T apple cider vinegar
- 2½ C vegetable stock
- 2½ C black beans, cooked
- 1 T parmesan cheese/serving, grated, for topping
- lemon wedges, for topping
- ½ slice bacon/serving (opt.), cooked and crumbled
- Pre-heat oven to 375F. Toss squash with 1 t olive oil, ¼ t salt, and a pinch of pepper. Roast on a baking sheet for 45-60 minutes, or until squash is tender (amount of time will vary depending on size of cubes). Check part way through roasting time to be sure it's not burning. Rotate pan/flip squash if desired.
- Cook bacon. Drain on paper towel and discard grease. Set aside.
- Heat soup pot. Add butter and remaining oil and brown (being careful not to let it burn). Add salt, pepper, cayenne, red pepper flakes, cumin, onion, and carrot. Cook 10 minutes, covered, over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic. Stir and cook 1 minute. Add vinegar, ½ T lemon juice, and maple syrup. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add remaining lemon juice, beans, squash, and stock. Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil; cook 10 minutes. Turn heat down to low and cook 10 minutes more. Stir occasionally, and add more stock or water if needed.
- Serve topped with bacon, parmesan cheese, and a lemon wedge to squeeze over top.
This episode is sponsored by: Abundant Harvest Organics, Bari Olive Oil Company, Waterfall Creative, Molly Jenson, Snow-Line Orchard.
Powered by Facebook Comments