Taco Soup – In the Kitchen with Rachel O – Video
I love soup! I could probably eat soup every day. Summer weather is no excuse for no soup, in our home. We just can’t get enough.
Thankfully, it’s finally feeling like fall (jump, cheer, squeak of joy). So we will eat soup, will eat soup, will eat SOUP!
We are kinda crazy about anything taco. We love Tacos tacos, we adore Taco Salad, and we could eat endless bowls of Taco Soup.
This soup is all kinds of hearty. It’s full of veggies (corn, tomatoes, zucchini, radishes, and onions), it has a bit of a kick, but not so much that it will make you sweat (but if you want it to, add another serrano or two, and keep the ribs and seeds), and you get to top it with cheese, corn chips, yogurt, salsa, and cilantro.
We liked it so much that I made it for one of my ifood.tv episodes and will probably make it again and again this fall and winter. We also thought it was good enough to bring to some friends who just had the most adorable baby girl. They agreed (even one of them who claims to dislike vegetables liked it)…
Here’s to a cold fall night, hot Taco Soup, and lots of time with the ones you love.
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 T olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 medium (about 1 1/2 C) zucchini (or other summer squash), chopped
- 3 small radishes, chopped
- 1 serrano chili pepper, ribs and seeds removed, diced
- to taste, salt
- to taste, pepper
- 1 t chili powder
- 1/4 t cumin
- pinch all spice
- pinch ginger
- 1 C corn (frozen or fresh)
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 tomatoes (about 1 1/2 C), chopped
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 2 T lemon juice, divided
- 6-7 C stock (vegetable, chicken, or beef), or water
- salsa, for topping
- corn chips, for topping
- Greek yogurt (or sour cream), for topping
- cheddar cheese, grated, for topping
- fresh cilantro, chopped, for topping
- Place beef in a soup pot. Cook over medium heat until it's partially cooked. Add olive oil and next 10 ingredients (thru ginger). Cook over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes, or until veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add corn and garlic, cook 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes, vinegar, and 1 T lemon juice; cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
- Add remaining lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve topped with cheese, yogurt, salsa, chips, and cilantro.
Powered by Facebook Comments