It’s About Time – Episode 76
Written by Rachel, Posted in A Cooking Show with Rachel O, Abundant Harvest Organics, Breakfast, Brunch, Cheese, Dinner, Eggs, Fruit, Lunch, Main Dishes, Meat, One Dish Dinners, Pork, Quick and Easy, This Week's Feast, Vegetables
Can we all just agree that burritos and tacos are some of the best ever foods? I made some the other week with pickled red onions, beef, and kale. Phenomenal. I’m crazy about plain old ground beef, tomato, lettuce, and cheese (heavy on the Greek yogurt and salsa, please). Make it into a salad? Yes, I’m totally down. And then there’s the less often visited breakfast burrito… We have been strangers for much too long.
Eating while photographing food is inevitable. And yummy. And satisfying. I don’t even need the tortilla to make me happy. But since it holds all the goodness, it can stay.
Two of the many things that make these particular burritos so good: the sausage and the eggs. My experience with breakfast sausage so far in my life has been those greasy little nuggets that are often served at a diner. This ain’t no diner sausage. And these eggs, oh these eggs… They’re some of the prettiest eggs I ever did see. The yolks are so bright; yellow and gold.
I’m glad to no longer be a stranger to the breakfast burrito (which I fully intend to eat at any meal that I please).
- 6 oz. breakfast sausage
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 summer squash, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 t savory, minced
- pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 C milk
- salt, to taste
- cheese, grated, for topping
- 1 tomato, chopped, for topping
- Cook sausage in skillet over medium or medium-low heat for about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove to a paper towel lined bowl and set aside. Wipe out skillet (optional).
- Add olive oil. When oil is hot, add veggies (except tomato), savory, and pepper. Cook over medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes, or until veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, and salt.
- Add sausage back to pan. Turn heat to low. Add eggs and cook, stirring often, for 4-6 minutes, or until eggs are cooked.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Spoon egg mixture onto tortillas. Top with cheese and tomato. Fold and roll up sides.