Hot Hot Hot… Slaw – Episode 56
Sometimes it’s easiest to come up with a main dish. But, what about a side or two?! It takes practice, effort, and sometimes help from a book like The Flavor Bible to pair foods well.
Yes, I think it would be totally acceptable to have a Roasted Chicken with nothing more than a baguette and some good olive oil for drizzling (with some salt, pepper, and a drizzle of Pomegranate Balsamic Vinegar). But, also fun would be that same chicken with some Roasted Brussels Sprouts with a Cider Vinegar Glaze, a beautiful pot of Braised Beans, or perhaps some crunchy Roasted Green Beans with Bacon, Almonds, and Lemon.
About a month ago I posted the recipes for Crispy Dijon Chicken Thighs and Hot Napa Slaw that I’d made for dinner. It was a made up on the spot, I really hope this works, kinda dinner. And it did.
Since we’ve gotten a lot of napa cabbage, from Abundant Harvest Organics, over the last little while, I thought it might be nice to share another way to prepare it. It’s quick, and so simple. We really enjoyed it. And, after filming, I had a really hard time not eating the whole dish. I hope you enjoy it too!
- 1/2 large napa cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 T dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large shallot (about 1 C), chopped
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 C water
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 T butter
- Heat pan. Add butter and oil and let it brown (be careful that it doesn’t burn). Add shallot and salt, cook 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Turn heat to low and add cabbage, vinegar, pepper, dijon, and water. Stir. Cook covered, for 10-20 minutes, or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Here are some ways to use the contents of this week’s Abundant Harvest Organics box.