A Simple Side for Supper
A few years ago, I tried parsnips for the first time. I’m pretty sure I thinly sliced and then roasted them. I don’t usually do anything else with them, because they don’t last long – they get eaten up pretty quickly.
When I was growing up, a friend’s mom used to make the most amazingÃ‚ Pupusas and Fried Plantains. I’ve had them again since, but none were as good as the ones she made. However, I kinda think that when parsnips are roasted, they taste a bit like a Fried Plantain. This is totally just my opinion. And, I haven’t had them in so long that I may be way off. But, this is how my grown up brain remembers a childhood food.
In any case, I like ’em. Which is why they don’t last long around here. I made these so I could photograph them. Then I ate them. The recipe could say serves 1, when it’s Rachel.
I basically love any veggie that’s roasted. You know this. I’ve told you before. So, carrots are no different. Parsnips and carrots both pair well with honey, butter, and garlic, so I used some of these flavors to make them extra tasty.
It’s a super easy side dish. All you have to do is cut, toss, roast, toss, roast, eeeeeeeeat!! Good idea, right?! We ate these alongside a Roasted Chicken and some Quinoa that I tossed with a little lemon juice and feta cheese.
- 1 large carrot, sliced lengthwise in 1/4″ (or slightly thinner) slices
- 2 parsnips, sliced lengthwise in 1/4″ slices
- 1 t olive oil
- tiny pinch salt
- tiny pinch pepper
- pinch smoked garlic sea salt (or regular sea salt)
- 1/2 T butter
- 1 T honey
- Pre-heat oven to 375F and place rack in the center (if using only one baking sheet).
- Toss veggies with olive oil and a tiny pinch of salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet*, with a bit of space between each slice. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and toss with smoked garlic sea salt, butter, and honey. Back onto the baking sheet, and return to oven. Bake 5-10 minutes more, or until veggies are slightly crispy, and tender in the middle (thicker slices may require more time).
- Remove from baking sheet while still hot.