- 2 heads broccoli, cut into large pieces (use the stem too – cut/peel the tough outside and use the tender inside)
- 1 carrot, grated
- pinch cayenne
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1 t or half a sprig fresh tarragon
- 1/2 t fresh oregano
- 1/2 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 T dijon mustard
- 1/2 C balsamic vinegar (reduced to about 2-3 T)
- 2-4 T olive oil
- 3/4 – 1 C pasta water
- 1 slice bacon/serving (for topping)
- 1/4 C parmesan cheese (for topping)
- 1/4 C almonds (for topping)
- 1 egg/serving (for topping)
- penne pasta
- Toss broccoli with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast broccoli at 400F for 20 minutes. Halfway through add grated carrots (also tossed with a bit of oil, salt, and pepper).
- Meanwhile, cook and drain pasta, reduce balsamic vinegar (watch carefully so it doesn’t burn), and cook bacon.
- Whisk together the mustard, reduced balsamic vinegar, herbs, cayenne, garlic powder, salt, pepper. Stream in 2-3 T olive oil as you whisk. Add the pasta water.
- Right before serving, fry the egg(s) (I cooked mine covered so the top would set quicker).
- Combine pasta, sauce, and veggies. Top with an egg, 1 halved piece of bacon, almonds, and parmesan cheese.