Surprise Me – Episode 40
Warning: Use of undefined constant linklove - assumed 'linklove' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/0/d239794658/htdocs/rachel/wp-content/plugins/facebook-comments-plugin/class-frontend.php on line 98
This is my 40th episode. So, I thought I’d do something a little different. This is often what dinner preparation looks like at our house, or how menu planning happens. I stand at the cupboard or the fridge and see ingredients and all-of-a-sudden have a vision for dinner.
I’m not planning to make this a permanent change (unless I love it and it works really well, I suppose), but it’s something that’s fun for me. It’s how I cook best – not following a recipe. We’ll see how it goes…
Oh and there are bloopers too, because I wanted there to be.
The above was written before filming, now it’s after I’ve filmed, and I want to write a few things down before I clean up. This was a really yummy dish. Normally, I’m an add or subtract to a dish kinda person. You may do this here too. BUT, know that if you do, you won’t get the full effect of the deliciousness. You see, every ingredient was carefully chosen to go along with the broccoli (the star). I had a bite with just pasta and while it was good, it was nothing compared to a bite with broccoli, carrot, cheese, almond, bacon, egg, and sauce. I don’t normally eat the whole bowl of food after I film. But, I’ll admit that there was almost nothing left today. And for once it wasn’t just because I’d forgotten to eat lunch and was starving.
OK, enough about the dish. Here’s the recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into large pieces (use the stem too – cut/peel the tough outside and use the tender inside)
- 1 carrot, grated
- pinch cayenne
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1 t or half a sprig fresh tarragon
- 1/2 t fresh oregano
- 1/2 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 T dijon mustard
- 1/2 C balsamic vinegar (reduced to about 2-3 T)
- 2-4 T olive oil
- 3/4 – 1 C pasta water
- 1 slice bacon/serving (for topping)
- 1/4 C parmesan cheese (for topping)
- 1/4 C almonds (for topping)
- 1 egg/serving (for topping)
- penne pasta
- Toss broccoli with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast broccoli at 400F for 20 minutes. Halfway through add grated carrots (also tossed with a bit of oil, salt, and pepper).
- Meanwhile, cook and drain pasta, reduce balsamic vinegar (watch carefully so it doesn’t burn), and cook bacon.
- Whisk together the mustard, reduced balsamic vinegar, herbs, cayenne, garlic powder, salt, pepper. Stream in 2-3 T olive oil as you whisk. Add the pasta water.
- Right before serving, fry the egg(s) (I cooked mine covered so the top would set quicker).
- Combine pasta, sauce, and veggies. Top with an egg, 1 halved piece of bacon, almonds, and parmesan cheese.
This dish can be found on Tuesday of this week’s menu!
This episode is sponsored by
Powered by Facebook Comments