Walnut and Caramelized Onion Tea Sandwiches
|Walnut and Caramelized Onion Tea Sandwiches||
- 6 onions, diced
- 1 C walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 T honey
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1-2 T olive oil
- 12oz. (1 1/2 pkgs.) cream cheese
- 14-18 slices of white bread
- Heat pan, add oil. When oil is hot, add onions, honey, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 45 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated and the onions are caramelized (brownish, tender, sweet).
- Mix with softened cream cheese and walnuts. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Top bread with onion mixture. Top with another slice of bread.
- Cut into triangles, quarters, or fingers.
The onions bothered my eyes a lot, because of the quantity. If you can get past that, this is a really yummy sandwich!! One trick I’ve discovered for peeling is to peel them under running water. Helps a little with the crying. 🙂
The filling would also be a good chip or cracker dip. It could be good added to scrambled eggs.