Spicy Cabbage and Cauliflower
Warning: Use of undefined constant linklove - assumed 'linklove' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/0/d239794658/htdocs/rachel/wp-content/plugins/facebook-comments-plugin/class-frontend.php on line 98
You ever have a day (or a week) where you just need to eat your feelings? One day, about two weeks ago, I had ice cream three times. It was a rough day. But, the ice cream helped. So did the wine that I drank after the ice cream. And the popcorn that I had for lunch. Sometimes I need to allow myself to not think. To just eat because I want to. It’s not usually like that. Meals are planned in advance, food is purchased, time is carved out to cook.
On those days when I’d rather reach for the ice cream, or potato chips, or just run to In-n-Out, there are meals like this one.
It’s a synch to prepare and it was so good that I almost licked the plate.
I sautéed some quarter inch thick slices of cauliflower in olive oil. It was generously seasoned with salt, pepper, cayenne, and paprika. Partway through I added some cabbage. Well seasoned, just like the cauliflower. I love a fried egg on almost anything, so I scooched the veggies over and cooked one once the veggies were done. I moved the whole skillet over on the burner so the egg would be over the flame. But, keeping the veggies in there allowed them to stay nice and hot while the egg cooked.
The veggies were topped with a squeeze of lemon, some garlic chives, and finally the fried egg. The veggies were really the star, so if you want to make this a vegan dish, you won’t be missing out. I made it a second time the other day when I had lunch with my friend Billye, who is a vegan, and served it with some crispy chick peas. Crispy sweet potatoes would also be great. Whatever you serve it with, a slice of toasted sourdough slathered with salted butter or olive oil and coarse sea salt is the perfect accompaniment.
- 2-3 T olive oil
- 2-3 C cauliflower, sliced about 1/4" thick
- 2 C napa cabbage (or any other type of cabbage), sliced 1/4" thick
- to taste salt
- to taste pepper
- to taste cayenne
- to taste paprika
- 1 egg/serving (optional)
- 1 T garlic chives (or regular chives, spring onions, green onions, green garlic), chopped
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat a large skillet over medium. Add oil. When oil is hot add cauliflower in a single layer (if possible). Season with salt through paprika and cook for 3-5 minutes. Flip and cook for about 3-5 minutes more (or until browned and crispy). Push to one side and add cabbage. Season it with salt through paprika and cook, stirring often, for 3-5 minutes (turning the cauliflower from time to time so it doesn't burn).
- If serving with eggs: Push the veggies to one side and move the skillet over so the veggies are off the flame. Add a bit more oil, and cook eggs as desired. Season with salt.
- Serve veggies topped with egg (optional), chives, and a squeeze of lemon, alongside a piece of toast with salted butter or olive oil and coarse sea salt.
Powered by Facebook Comments