Spaghetti Squash Rock
|Spaghetti Squash Rock|
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved, seeds removed
- 1/2 lb. ground meat (I used beef), or tempeh
- olive oil
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small summer squash, diced
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1/4 t dried thyme
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 1/4 C parmesan cheese, for topping
- 1/4 C basil, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Drizzle squash with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Place cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake on a rack set in the middle or upper position of the oven, for 55-65 minutes, or until flesh of squash is tender (jab it with a fork to find out if it is).
- Heat pan, add ground meat. Drain fat and return meat to pan. Add veggies, herbs, salt and pepper. (Add some olive oil if the pan gets dry.) Cook until reduced and saucy, about 13 minutes.
- Add red wine vinegar, cook 2 min more.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Remove squash from the oven. Scrape with a fork to get the spaghetti-ness from the side. Fill with meat and veggie mixture.
- Top with parmesan cheese, basil, and a drizzle of good quality olive oil (like Bari’s).
- Serve with garlic twists or garlic flats.
To serve more than two as a main dish, add another spaghetti squash. There should be enough filling for 4 people.