Sweet Onion Mac and Cheese with Croutons
Warning: Use of undefined constant linklove - assumed 'linklove' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/0/d239794658/htdocs/rachel/wp-content/plugins/facebook-comments-plugin/class-frontend.php on line 98
Rach’s Sweet Onion Mac and Cheese with Croutons
- 1/2 LB whole wheat elbow macaroni
- Croutons: pinch cayenne
- pinch basil
- to taste salt
- to taste pepper
- 1 T Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 T olive oil
- 1 C cubed bread (1″ cubes)
- Pasta: 1 T olive oil
- 1 onion (or a few spring onions), diced
- 1 T fresh oregano and basil (or whatever herbs you think would taste nice together), chopped
- 1 T honey
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 T flour
- 1/2 C yogurt
- 1/2 to 1 C pasta water
- 1/2 C cauliflower, pureed
- 1-2 C grated cheese (mixture of any: Parmesan, Monterey Jack, Sharp Cheddar, Mozzarella)
- to taste Salt
- to taste pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 C Milk
- Cook pasta.
- Prepare croutons: Combine basil, cayenne,salt and pepper, and Parmesan with a bit of olive oil. Pour over cubed bread. Bake at 350 F for 10-20 minutes, or until toasty, flipping once halfway through.
- While pasta and croutons are cooking: Heat a medium-sized skillet and add 1 T olive oil. Add onions and cook over med-heat for about 5 minutes. Add herbs; 2 min; add honey; cook until onions are soft; add garlic; 1 min (don’t let the garlic burn!).
- Add flour; whisk in; 30 sec; add milk; whisk in; add yogurt; whisk in; add pasta water; whisk in; add cauliflower, whisk in; let it thicken, but do not boil.
- Turn heat to very low and add cheese; whisk in (whisking like a figure-8). Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Pour cheese sauce over pasta and combine.
- Serve topped with croutons and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
May 14, 2010
Powered by Facebook Comments