It’s perfect for this time of year (fresh basil from my garden and locally grown strawberries). Part of the idea is actually from something that Tim told me he made while I was in Colorado last week (strawberries on a sandwich). Sorry, I could have taken a photo, but, it didn’t last long enough. This was so good I didn’t want to eat anything else with it!!
- 1 rustic roll (or hunk of crusty bread)
- 1t spicy brown mustard
- 1t balsamic vinegar
- 1t extra virgin olive oil
- 2 strawberries, thinly sliced
- 4 basil leaves, fresh, torn
- 1t red onion, diced
- 4 slices parmesan cheese (or enough to cover the roll)
- Bake roll (to crisp outside, and heat inside – don’t slice before baking) 350 degrees, 7 minutes.
- Prepare toppings.
- Halve roll; spread with mustard. Pour oil and vinegar over, press halves together (to let oil and vinegar soak in).
- Top with remaining ingredients.
(From June 20, 2010)