Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
(From Feb 2011) Last night I had Broccoli Cheese Soup on the menu. When it got to be 6 o’clock and I hadn’t started it, it became clear that I needed to make something else. I had made a Pioneer Woman’s Pizza Crust the day before (it’s best after 24 hours in the fridge), we had some leftover Tri Tip, we have a ton of leeks, and we always have cheese. Thus, the Philly Cheesesteak Pizza was born… It was delicious. We may have a different kind of pizza invention every Friday from now on.
|Philly Cheesesteak Pizza||
- 1 pizza crust
- 1 C leeks
- 1 C cheese (1/4C parm, 3/4C cheddar)
- 1/2 C Tri Tip, cooked
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 T corn meal
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1t honey
- Sauce) 2T canola oil
- 2T flour
- 1/2C milk
- 1/4C BBQ sauce
- 2T spicy mustard
- pinch cumin
- Pre-heat oven to 375F (for PW crust). Caramelize leeks, peppers, garlic in oil and honey.
- Add flour, whisk in, 30 sec; add milk, whisk in; bring to a bubble, thicken, whisking often. Add BBQ sauce, mustard pinch salt, pepper and cumin; whisk often until it’s thick enough for your sauce (mine took 5-10 minutes, could be quicker).
- Oil pizza pan, sprinkle with cornmeal, roll out pizza dough.
- Top with sauce, cheddar cheese, beef, leeks, peppers, garlic, then remaining cheese. Sprinkle salt on crust (opt.).
- Bake at 375F for 15-18 minutes.
- Could be good topped with arugula (after it’s baked).
- Serve with more parmesan, a yummy beverage, and your favorite Friday night activity.
Drink parings: Red wine or vanilla milkshake
Our rating: 4/5