All Day Chili
|All Day Chili||
- 1/2 – 1LB ground beef
- 3T olive oil
- 1 T chili powder
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1/4 t cayenne
- 1/2 T cumin
- 1 t red pepper flakes
- 2T and 1 1/2 T balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 C dried black beans
- 8 C water
- 1 C kidney beans
- 1 C pinto beans
- 1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 1/4 C (homemade, if you have it) BBQ sauce
- 1/4 C tomato soup (or tomato sauce)
- 1/2 – 1 C plain yogurt
- 2-3 T honey
- 1-2 T brown sugar
- cheese, grated
- Brown beef in olive oil with seasonings and balsamic vinegar.
- Add onion when beef is mostly cooked; 3 min. Add garlic, cook 1 minute. Add (rinsed) dried black beans (they don’t need to be soaked overnight), BBQ sauce, tomato soup or sauce, and 8C water. Bring to a boil; reduce to simmer; 3-4 hours (or until beans are soft).
- Add kidney and pinto beans and tomatoes; 30 min.
- Check seasoning: Add more (of above seasonings unless if it’s too spicy), add: yogurt, honey, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, 1-3 C water. Cook until liquid is mostly gone for a nice thick chili, 30 min – 2 hours (depending on desired thickness of chili).
- Serve topped with: avocado, cheese, yogurt and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
You could use canned beans. Cooking time would be drastically reduced to 1-2 hours. You could also use the crock pot. For dried beans, it could take 8-10 hours, for canned 4-6 (these are estimates).
Great with mini cornbread muffins with butter and honey.