Aaaand We’re Back… With Squash’n Eggs
Warning: Use of undefined constant linklove - assumed 'linklove' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/0/d239794658/htdocs/rachel/wp-content/plugins/facebook-comments-plugin/class-frontend.php on line 98
So simple that I didn’t think about posting this until I’d started chopping the zucchini…
I mean, it’s eggs. It’s squash. It’s cheese.
There is fresh savory. You could use any fresh herb that pairs well with eggs.
It’s so simple.
But, then I thought, you might need simple. Right? For those lunches or dinners when there’s just nothing to make… then you spy the carton of eggs.
Eggs and pasta (sometimes together) have rescued many a meal at my house.
Squash is gonna be around for a while. I don’t like to eat the same thing, prepared the same way, over and over again.
This is not the same old squash.
These may be the best eggs I’ve had in a long time. Ok, except for the Eggs Benedict that I tried for the first time a few weeks ago. Right. I almost forgot. Those were excellent. Let’s call it a close second.
It all starts with some butter. Many of my favorite meals start with butter. I used salted butter. Unsalted will work fine too, just add a bit more salt to the dish.
A heap of zucchini (or whatever squash you have on hand) is plomped into the hot buttery skillet to cook on its own for a few minutes.
When the eggs join in they don’t need too long to cook, so don’t forget about them.
What really makes this dish is a bit of extra sharp cheddar cheese that’s sprinkled in. But it doesn’t just melt on top, it’s stirred in, so maybe there will be some crispy bits. Those are the best part.
That’s it. Done. Easy as… eggs.
Serve with some fruit, some homemade blueberry jam laden toast, and you’re golden.
- 1 T salted butter
- 1 C summer squash*, chopped
- 1/2 t savory (or any fresh herb that compliments eggs: dill, basil, chives, parsley, tarragon, thyme), chopped
- pinch salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- 2 T milk
- pinch salt
- 1/4 C sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat a skillet over medium. Add butter. When butter is hot, add squash, savory, and a pinch of salt. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk eggs, milk, and salt in a bowl. Add to the skillet. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until eggs are mostly set, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with cheese, then stir cheese in. Cook 1 minute more.
Powered by Facebook Comments