Wilted Spinach and Radicchio Salad – Episode 3
It’s time for another episode of A Cooking Show With Rachel O – This Week’s Feast!
This week I’m making a Wilted Spinach and Radicchio Salad with some of the contents of my Abundant Harvest Organics box. Don’t worry, this isn’t a summertime feeling salad. It’s rich and hearty and full of fall goodness… It features spinach, radicchio, and apples from this week’s box. Plus onions from the box from two weeks ago, Bari Extra-Virgin Organic Olive Oil (which can be purchased as an add-on from Abundant Harvest Organics), bacon (can be purchased from AHO as an add-on… small side-note, when picking up my box on Tuesday, I was told by a fellow subscriber that the bacon is amazing… try it!!), and honey (can be purchased from AHO as an add-on).
this week’s menu. I’ve planned it to go along with roast beef, but you could have it for lunch too (what we did). It’s great just the way I made it (and plenty filling too), but you could also add some hard boiled eggs or chicken (which can also be purchased from AHO) or serve it with some potatoes (roasted in the oven, pan-fried). If you have any leftovers, you could mix them into some eggs and make a quiche. Oh yum, I’m getting hungry! I hope you enjoy it!
|Wilted Spinach and Radicchio Salad||
- 3 slices bacon
- 2-3 handfuls spinach,
- 1 C radicchio, chopped
- 3 T Bari Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 3 tiny, or 1 medium onion, quartered then sliced
- splash red wine vinegar
- 1 T honey
- 6 whole walnuts, chopped
- 1 Fuji apple, cut in 1/2″x1/2″ sticks (they don’t have to be too precise)
- 1/4 t salt
- pinch nutmeg
- 1-2 T Havarti cheese, cubed (or use cheddar)
- 1/8 C parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook bacon. While bacon cooks: wash spinach and radicchio. Remove stems from spinach and chop radicchio. Chop apple, onion, cheese and walnuts.
- Remove bacon from pan and lay on paper towel to drain. Remove most of the grease from the pan, reserving about 2 T. Add olive oil to pan. Add onions and apples, cook 3 minutes over med-heat. Add honey, radicchio, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Turn heat down a bit, and let radicchio wilt down. Add a little more olive oil if needed (to make enough dressing).
- To serve, place half spinach on a plate, top with apple and onion mixture. Mix slightly, then add cheese, bacon (crumble once it’s cooled), walnuts and parmesan. Drizzle with a tiny bit more olive oil if desired.
Serves 2 for a main dish, could serve 4 as a side salad.
Would be good topped with/alongside chicken, beef, or pork chops.
Serve with toasted whole grain bread, for a nice lunch or light dinner.
Apple could be substituted for pears (using less-ripe pears would be best so they don’t get too mushy). Apple could also be raw, instead of cooked. Or, you could do both cooked and raw apples!
Powered by Facebook Comments