Wilted Spinach and Radicchio Salad
|Wilted Spinach and Radicchio Salad||
- 3 slices bacon
- 2-3 handfuls spinach,
- 1 C radicchio, chopped
- 3 T Bari Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 3 tiny, or 1 medium onion, quartered then sliced
- splash red wine vinegar
- 1 T honey
- 6 whole walnuts, chopped
- 1 Fuji apple, cut in 1/2″x1/2″ sticks (they don’t have to be too precise)
- 1/4 t salt
- pinch nutmeg
- 1-2 T Havarti cheese, cubed (or use cheddar)
- 1/8 C parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook bacon. While bacon cooks: wash spinach and radicchio. Remove stems from spinach and chop radicchio. Chop apple, onion, cheese and walnuts.
- Remove bacon from pan and lay on paper towel to drain. Remove most of the grease from the pan, reserving about 2 T. Add olive oil to pan. Add onions and apples, cook 3 minutes over med-heat. Add honey, radicchio, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Turn heat down a bit, and let radicchio wilt down. Add a little more olive oil if needed (to make enough dressing).
- To serve, place half spinach on a plate, top with apple and onion mixture. Mix slightly, then add cheese, bacon (crumble once it’s cooled), walnuts and parmesan. Drizzle with a tiny bit more olive oil if desired.
Serves 2 for a main dish, could serve 4 as a side salad.
Would be good topped with/alongside chicken, beef, or pork chops.
Serve with toasted whole grain bread, for a nice lunch or light dinner.
Apple could be substituted for pears (using less-ripe pears would be best so they don’t get too mushy). Apple could also be raw, instead of cooked. Or, you could do both cooked and raw apples!