Anyone else find themselves in need of some good coleslaw when spring comes along? The days are longer, people enjoy more meals outdoors, and my nose starts to anticipate the smell of barbecues grilling through the open windows.
What I’d really like right now is some grilled fish, crispy potatoes, and this coleslaw on the side. Are you sitting outside, imagining how delicious this would taste?
Hello, spring. We welcome you.
Um, so these are not necessarily spring veggies per se. But, when combined with bright, fresh flavors like dill, parsley, and lemon, spring is ushered right in.
I like to grate veggies when I’m using them in salads and coleslaws. I feel like it helps them to mellow out a little. Instead of a big chunk of carrot or radish, it’s a light, flaky morsel.
If you’re not a big fan of the spiciness of radishes, this might be a way that you can handle them raw.
It’s how raw radish rolls in our house.
(I was going to ask you to try saying “raw radish rolls” a bunch of times fast, but then I tried it and it’s not so difficult…)
Can we talk about homemade salad dressing for a second?
I’m a big fan. That’s all I really wanted to say…
Ok, we can also talk about the dill in there and how its flavor pops, how the honey adds just a barely there hint of sweetness, and the yogurt adds a creamy dreaminess.
This coleslaw would be great alongside some grilled fish (again, my craving), or with some crispy fish tacos. It could also be fabulous with a Reuben, a chicken sandwich, or an ooey gooey cheddar grilled cheese sandwich.
Don’t miss this one!
- Dressing: 1/2 to 1 t fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 T fresh (or 1/4 t dried) basil, chopped
- 1/2 T fresh (or 1/2 t dried) parsley, chopped
- 1/2 C spring onion, diced
- to taste salt
- to taste pepper
- 2 t lemon juice
- 1/2 t apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 T olive oil
- 2 T milk (or cream)
- 1/4 C Greek (or plain) yogurt
- 1/2 t honey
- Slaw: 1/2 C radish (any kind), grated (or minced)
- 1/2 C celery, diced (or minced)
- 1 C carrot, grated (or minced)
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Combine dressing with veggies. Refrigerate for about an hour before serving.
- Serve with your favorite seafood!