Much Ado About Beets
During the colder winter months, we get lots of root veggies from Abundant Harvest Organics. Things like rutabagas, turnips, and beets. We get other produce too, of course, but the root veggies are usually the ones that I have more trouble using up.
I’m new to liking beets. So I’m learning to be creative with their preparation.
I took last weekÃ‚ off from my show. I try to do this every few months or so, not for a vacation, but to work on the behind the scenes stuff that can get neglected. Planning, blog maintenance, and cleaning out the produce drawers are some of those oft thought of, but rarely done chores.
My produce drawers are now almost empty.
A little while ago I made Beet Chips as a part of a Mache and Citrus Salad. Since then, I’d been wondering if those little chips would be good in pasta. So I looked through The Flavor Bible to see things that might compliment and made up a dish for a dinner last week.
It’s pretty simple. Think beets, parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and honey with pasta. Add a few more carefully chosen ingredients, and dinner is ready.
- 3 servings rice penne pasta
- 16 small beets, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 2 t olive oil, divided
- 1-2 t garlic smoked sea salt (or regular salt)
- 1/4 t pepper, divided
- 1 shallot, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 t honey
- 2 T lemon juice, divided
- 1 T cornstarch
- 1/4 C cold water
- 1 C pasta water
- 3/4 C parmesan cheese, plus a little more for topping
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Toss beets with 1 t olive oil, 1 t garlic salt, and 1/8 t pepper. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes, switch position in oven (if using 2 baking sheets) and bake 5-10 min more, or until beets are tender and crispy.
- Cook pasta.
- Heat skillet and add oil. Add shallot and 1/4 t salt. Cook oven med-low heat for 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, honey, and 1 T lemon juice, and cook 2 minutes.
- Whisk cornstarch with 1/4 C cold water. Add to shallot mixture along with remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook until slightly thickened. Add beets and pasta water.
- Drain pasta and toss with beet mixture. Add parmesan cheese and 1 T lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and a lemon wedge.
Powered by Facebook Comments