- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, small cubes
- 1/2 C peas
- 1 C chicken or vegetable stock*
- 2 C water
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t chili powder
- 1/2 t ginger
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- Add all ingredients except peas and vinegar to a pot. Bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes and carrots are tender, about 30 minutes, adjusting seasoning if needed.
- Add peas, cook 3 minutes. Add vinegar.
- Serve with crackers or toast, and feel better!
*To make simple stock: boil one chicken carcass with 6 C water for 2-3 hours. Strain and discard bones and meat. Place cooled stock in fridge and when completely cooled, skim fat off the top. (For more complicated stock, add: 2 carrots, chopped; 2 celery stalks, chopped; 1 onion, chopped; 1 t whole peppercorns, 1 bunch herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano, parsley, basil…). Add 6-8 C water and cook for 2-3 hours.)
You could add cooked, shredded chicken, other veggies, and pasta if you want Chicken Noodle Soup.
Best after being cooked for an hour or so, so the favors can really combine, since there’s not a lot in it.