Joanna – An Ambassador for De Ma Cuisine
A long long time ago (or about a year and a half ago), when I first started my blog, I asked a few people if they would be ambassadors. I told them that if they would tell people about my blog, I’d create a dish for and named after them.
Today, it’s Joanna’s turn.
Joanna is a dear friend of mine.
She is one of the most talented graphic designers I know.
She came up with my logo.
She designed business cards for me.
She loves food.
Jo prefers a vegetarian diet. A while ago she asked for suggestions for getting enough protein and iron.
When I was creating a dish for her, lentils and protein were my inspiration.
Lentils are a good source of lean protein. They have lots of folic acid and fiber and are a good source of iron. (1)
I’m thankful for this amazing, beautiful, sweet woman. Jo, I hope you enjoy this dish!!
- 1 T garlic infused olive oil
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 t dried parsley
- 1/2 t dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 to 1 t red pepper flakes
- pinch cumin
- pinch smoked paprika
- 1/4 C balsamic vinegar
- 1 t maple syrup
- 1 C lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1/2 C uncooked brown rice
- 6 1/2 to 7 C vegetable stock (warmed - opt.)
- 2-4 C water
- 2 C spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 t good olive oil
- 1 lemon wedge/serving
- Heat soup pot. Add oil. When oil is hot, add carrot and a pinch of salt. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add shallot and another pinch of salt. Cook 2 minutes more.
- Add tomato paste, parsley, dijon, pepper, remaining salt, red pepper flakes, cumin, paprika, balsamic vinegar, and maple syrup. Stir and cook 2 minutes.
- Add lentils and rice to pan. Cook 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add stock. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover, reduce heat to medium and cook for 55-65 minutes, adding more stock if needed, until veggies are tender and lentils and rice are cooked.
- In last 5 minutes of cooking time turn heat to low and add spinach.
- Remove from heat and stir in olive oil.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon.