It’s Finally Fall!
September ended, October has begun. It’s actually been fall for a while, but it’s not really fall (in my mind) until it feels like fall. September was hot. October 1st was 106F. That’s too hot for October. Now it’s cooling down. Relief! We ate on the back patio last night, because it was finally chilly enough.Ã‚ I’m a little obsessed with cooler weather. I love cold fall evenings. I love putting on a sweatshirt, or having to get a quilt ’cause I’m cold when we’re watching TV. I love to beÃ‚ cozy. (When I was little, I had a blanket that I called my “cozy”. Maybe that’s why I still like being cozy so much. I even like the sound of the word. It’s kinda comforting, and, well, cozy.)
My wedding was in October, so I love to remember that fall, which included a honeymoon close to Yosemite, and the brilliant fall colors. I love to think of fall in Ontario, where I grew up. I miss that kind of fall. I wish we were there right now, for so many reasons (one of whom is 2 weeks and 3 days old and would call me Auntie if she could talk).
I love that it’s the baseball postseason. My team didn’t do well this year. But, I just love to watch, so I’m glad that someone is in it, and I’ll keep wearing my Red Sox hat regardless.
I love soups and stews and roasts and baking and the smell of a pumpkin candle. Recently I made (a variation of) my Corn Chowder, and next week I have Chili on the menu (maybe I’ll use leftover purÃƒ©ed butternut squash instead of summer squash, and tarragon instead of basil??!). Perfect.
I love that October is National Pizza Month. I love pizza. Almost as much as I love soup and sometimes more. Depends on the day. Today is a pizza day, Pizza Friday.
There are so many other things that I love about fall. I’ll save them for another time. For now, enjoy your weekend. Hope it’s lovely and just the right temperature. I hope it’s full of joy, laughter, good food, great company. That’s my desire for our weekend. I think we’ll start it off tonight by using up the last slice of bacon (literally, I have only one slice of bacon in the freezer) and make my BBQ Apple Bacon Pizza. It’s a treat for sure.
|BBQ Apple Bacon Pizza|
- 1 pizza crust
- 1 small apple, thinly sliced
- 2 slices bacon, chopped and cooked
- 1/4 C BBQ sauce (I used homemade)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 t sweet paprika
- 1/4 – 1/2t red pepper flakes
- drizzle honey
- 1C cheese (extra sharp cheddar, parmesan)
- 1T flour
- Cook bacon, drain on paper towel.
- Sprinkle pizza pan with flour. Roll or press out dough, working from center and moving out, spinning the pan as you go.
- Top with BBQ sauce, cheese, apple, bacon, spices, drizzle honey, and a bit more cheese.
- Bake according to pizza crust directions (or 375F for 15-18 minutes).
- Serve topped with more parmesan (opt.).
- 1/4 C white vinegar
- 1/2 C apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 C molasses
- 2 T honey
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 1/4 C tomato paste
- 1/2 to 1 t chili & garlic sea salt
- 1/2 to 1 t tropical pepper sea salt
- pinch ginger
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 1 t sweet paprika
- 1 T chili powder
- Whisk all ingredients together.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer until thickened and reduced, 15 minutes to 1 hour or so.
Makes about 2 C sauce before reducing.