Summer Veggie Quinoa Salad
|Summer Veggie Quinoa Salad|
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 C water
- 1 C beans (I used black and pinto)
- 1 summer squash, chopped (about 2 C total)
- 1 zucchini, chopped (about 2 C total)
- 4 ears of corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 8 pear tomatoes, halved
- 2 carrots, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 4 C water
- 2 C uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 fresh herbs, chopped (I used: chives, parsley, basil, and oregano)
- 1/2 C kale, chopped
- 2-3 T olive oil, divided
- 1 C parmesan cheese
- dressing: 1/2 C olive oil
- 1/2 C balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 C apple cider vinegar
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1 T dijon mustard
- Heat a medium saucepan. Add 1 1/2 T olive oil. Add garlic and quinoa and cook, stirring often, over medium-high heat, 3-5 minutes. Add water, cover, bring to a boil. Uncover, let cook about 15-20 minutes, or until water is absorbed and quinoa is cooked.
- Meanwhile, add 1 1/2 T olive oil to a hot skillet. Add chicken breast and 1 C water. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook covered, flipping once, until internal temperature reaches 170F (about 10 minutes per side, or so, if it’s thick). Remove from pan and cool in refrigerator. Chop in small pieces.
- Combine all dressing ingredients except oil. Slowly whisk in oil.
- Combine quinoa with half of the dressing. Cool completely in refrigerator.
- Combine quinoa with veggies, cheese, chicken, and dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve with bread and honey butter, or corn muffins!
Keep salad cool while at the picnic with ice packs!
Could make vegetarian by omitting chicken, and adding tempeh.
This is a main dish, but would be great as a side to grilled steak, pork chops, or chicken. As a side to meat, omitting the meat in the salad would be fine.