Tempeh for My Nachos?! – Episode 31
Episode 31. The show has as many episodes as I am years old. I’m glad people don’t age as fast as the show has!! Yikes! This episode was inspired by the All-Star game and food that I love to eat while watching baseball: Nachos. Love ’em. Simple is fine, just cheese, dipped in salsa and Greek yogurt. But, I also love to pile it on! We’re talking beans, tempeh (what I wrote about on Monday, in place of ground beef), corn, bell peppers, zucchini (not weird, you can’t even taste it), and onion. Oh, and of course CHEESE! Then, dipped in salsa and Greek yogurt.
I ate these for lunch and dinner yesterday. I couldn’t let them go to waste after I’d filmed and it was what we were having with the game. I didn’t complain. Um, I may also be having the leftovers for lunch today… balanced diet anyone? 🙂 Actually, this particular version of nachos is not to shabby for ya. So, I’ll just be sure to have something else for dinner and maybe wait on the next plate of nachos until
Saturday a few weeks from now.
Y’all, it’s been a tough week. (I wrote y’all because we’ve been watching Friday Night Lights and it’s bringing my inner Texan out – I lived there for five years.) I’m not going to go into the whiny details. I just wanted to say that, to be real. Also to explain part of why I’m going to take next week off from the show and menu planning (I’ll still be blogging though). It’s not really about this week, but that has just been the straw that broke the camel’s back, so to speak (yes, I guess I would be the camel, in this case… um…). I’ve been meaning to take a week off, to refresh, renew, regroup, take care of the blog (these things require a lot of maintenance!!), and do the unenviable things that keep getting pushed off my to do list like filing our receipts and paperwork. This isn’t a vacation, it’s just a break to work. 🙂 Anyhoo, just wanted to fill you in.
Now go watch me eat some nachos. Then go make your own! Ooh, and if there are leftovers, you could turn them into an Enchilada Casserole!
- tortilla chips
- 1-8oz. pkg Tempeh (if you wanted to make this non-vegetarian and use meat, ground beef, chicken, or turkey would be good, or pulled pork, leftover roast beef, or shredded chicken)
- 1 C beans (black and pinto) (I used dried that I soaked overnight and cooked for 3-4 hours)
- 2 ears of corn, uncooked, kernels cut off the cob
- 2 tomatoes, about 1 1/2 C, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 sm.-med. zucchini, about 1 1/2 C, chopped
- 1/4 C onion, chopped
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 1 T sweet paprika
- 1 t ginger
- 1/2 t cumin
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/8 t cayenne pepper (or more if you like it spicier)
- 1/2 to 1 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 1-2 C cheese (pepperjack and mozzarella), shredded
- salsa (for serving)
- Greek yogurt (for serving)
- Heat pan, add oil. Crumble tempeh into pan and cook with seasonings, and all veggies except corn and tomatoes. Cook about 5 minutes, over medium heat.
- (If using the oven, pre-heat to 350F.) Add beans. Reduce to medium-low heat. Cook about 5 minutes.
- On a baking sheet spread chips in a single layer. Top with tempeh mixture and cheese. Bake at 350F for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted (I used the toaster oven).
- Remove from (toaster) oven and top with corn and tomatoes. Serve with Greek yogurt and salsa for dipping!
This meal can be found on Tuesday of this week’s menu!