I Heart BLT Pizza – Episode 16
The BLT is one of my all time favorite sandwiches. Bacon is one of my all time favorite foods. Llano Seco has the best bacon I’ve ever had. And, I love pizza. When I was planning this week’s episode, I was thinking that it had been a while since I’d used bacon on the show. I’ve madeÃ‚ Bacon & Egg Burgers, Butternut Squash Pasta Carbonara, Wilted Spinach and Radicchio Salad, and Fancy Pizza. I needed something new. The BLT isn’t new. It also wouldn’t really use many of the contents of the Abundant Harvest Organics box. I like to use as much as I can each week. Sometimes it’s just highlighting a couple of ingredients. Sometimes it’s using the majority of the box. A BLT would use lettuce and tomato. Not enough for a show. But, what if I did a pizza with BLT ingredients, and more?! Now that, that could work. Pair it with a salad with homemade orange dressing, and we’ve got ourselves a show.
Can I tell you something? I wasn’t 100% sure about this one. I mean, really, you can’t go wrong with bacon. But, I was putting asparagus on the pizza. I’ve never done that before. I often make something for the first time on the show. It may not be smart, but I get inspired and I do it. I can’t help myself. I’ve made BLT pizza before, but never quite like this. I really hoped it would turn out. Want to know something else? There’s none left today. I ate it for lunch and dinner, Husband ate it for dinner. It was that good. I was not disappointed.
Why is it so good… Here’s what’s on it: Alfredo sauce (homemade, with lots of garlic and parmesan cheese) (ya know, in place of the mayo), tomatoes, asparagus (it wasn’t weird, really!), spinach (the “L”), chives, bacon (duh), and Irish cheddar (not too much, so it didn’t overwhelm). Ã‚ It’s all on top of a homemade pizza crust (I made a crust from scratch in the Fancy Pizza episode, so I didn’t do it on this show). The salad was simple: lettuce, spinach, grated carrot, chopped apple, homemade orange dressing. OK, enough about it, go make it!! Here’s the recipe.
- 1 pizza crust
- 1/2 tomato, sliced and quartered
- 1-2 asparagus, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1/2 to 1 C bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1-2 T chives, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 C Irish cheddar cheese (or other aged, sharp cheddar), grated
- 1/2 C spinach, torn
- Alfredo Sauce: 2 T olive oil
- 2 T AP flour
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 C milk
- 1/2 to – 1 C parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 475F. Roll out pizza dough and roll the edge a bit to make a crust. Bake for 5 minutes.
- While it bakes, make alfredo sauce: Heat pan, add oil. Whisk in flour, cook 30 seconds. Add garlic, cook an additional 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in milk. Over medium heat, let it thicken, whisking occasionally. Once thick, remove from heat and whisk in parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Top pizza crust with alfredo sauce, tomato, asparagus, spinach, bacon, chives, and cheddar cheese. Return to oven and bake for 7-8 minutes (or until crust is as crispy as you’d like it, and cheese is melted).
|Green Salad with Orange Dressing||
- 1/2 C spinach
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 apple, chopped
- Dressing: 1/4 to 1/2 C good quality olive oil
- juice from two oranges
- (you could add a splash of vinegar if you wanted)
- Slowly whisk oil into orange juice, creating an emulsion. Add salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, add lettuce with spinach, carrot, and apple. Toss with dressing.
- Serve and enjoy!!
This meal is found on Friday, of this week’s menu!
Powered by Facebook Comments