I wrote about some of my favorite bulk bin treasures in a recent post. Here are some creative and yummy ways to use those delicious ingredients.
I’ve included fourteen days worth of dinner ideas. You could double that by doing things like getting creative and swapping out the type of beans or rice in a recipe, using a different kind of protein, or something as simple as using a different type of pasta.
Bulk Bin Menu Ideas
Monday – Pasta Night
I like the first day of the work week to be a pasta night. I know I’m going to be a little extra tired. I know I’m going to need something quick and easy. Pasta is perfect for that. Add some bulk bin beans, top with some chopped nuts and scallions, and dinner will be on the table in no time.
- Week 1 – Pasta E Ceci – add chickpeas to the recipe that features Otamot Sauce
- Week 2 – Pasta with Sausage Beans and Pine Nuts
Tuesday – Taco Tuesday
I could probably eat tacos every day of the week. They’re all great ways to use bulk bin beans. And, I’ll bet you could smear some refried beans on a flour tortilla and use it to wrap a hard taco and then maybe, just maybe, when it breaks all the fillings would stay in the taco instead of ending up on your plate… Or am I the only one this happens to?
- Week 1 – Spanish Rice with Beans with Chicken Quesadillas (add cooked chicken to this recipe)
- Week 2 – Vegetarian Soft Tacos
Wednesday – International
There are so many great flavors. It’s fun to try something new and broaden the palate.
Thursday – Breakfast for Dinner
Breakfast food is one of my favorite types of food to eat. Any time of the day.
- Week 1 – Sweet and Savory Cornmeal Pancakes (try adding some oats, and flax or chia seeds to the pancake batter for a little extra je ne sais quoi)
- Week 2 – Shiitake Mushroom & Kale Savory Oats and Whole Wheat Pear Muffins
Friday – Better than Takeout
Take out is fun! But it’s great to learn how to cook dishes that are on par with takeout… and sometimes they’re even better!
Saturday – Pizza Night!
Pizza can be a great bulk bin meal. From the ingredients to make the crust to the toppings (I think toasted nuts and seeds on a pizza with arugula and prosciutto would be fabulous!), it’s a bulk bin winner.
Sunday – Soup
Soup days are my favorite. Maybe even more so than pizza. Soup is one of the best ways to use bulk bin ingredients, use the last of the wilty veggies in the produce drawer, and warm the soul on a chilly evening.
- Week 1 – Lentil Stew with Super Seedy Crackers
- Week 2 – Chicken and Rice Soup with Poppyseed and Cheese Biscuits
What are you cooking from the bulk bin? Do you have any favorites?