Sweet Potato Pasta with Fried Eggs
Written by Rachel, Posted in Cheese, Dinner, Eggs, Fruit, Gluten Free, Herbs, Lunch, Main Dishes, Pasta, Quick and Easy, Vegetables, Vegetarian
I love most any pasta topped with a fried egg. In fact, most any food seems to be better with a fried egg either a-top, or alongside the main component of the dish. Last week were were sans eggs. I didn’t know what to do with myself. We rely on eggs so much for meals.
I thought about adding some pasta to this dish. But, when veggies are thinly sliced and steamed they take on a texture that’s very similar to homemade pasta. So, I’m saving the pasta for another day. These sweet potatoes and the thinly sliced collard greens work just fine.
After being steamed they’re tossed with some olive oil, lemon zest, and fresh herbs. It’s bright, fresh, and tastes like spring.
My favorite way to fry an egg is over medium-high heat. I like my yolk to be runny, but not the whites, so I flip then turn the heat off. But, of course, cook ’em however you like ’em best.
I like the yolks to be runny so that when broken they add to the sauce to make it extra rich and delicious. I served this with just one egg per person. But, both Tim and I thought that two eggs would be even better. We wanted some eggy goodness in every bite.
My perfect bite includes a bit of sweet potato, collard greens, some parmesan, a bit of the olive oil sauce, and a big piece of egg with yummy yolk. Just heavenly.
We ate this for lunch, outside, enjoying the beautiful spring weather.
- 2-3 C sweet potatoes (about 1 medium), shaved into thin strips
- 2 C collard greens, cut into strips
- 1 T lemon zest
- 1 T lemon juice
- to taste salt
- to taste pepper
- 3 T olive oil
- pinch cayenne
- 1 T parsley, diced
- 1 t balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- to taste salt
- 1-2 eggs/person
- 1/4 parmesan, shaved
- Heat about 1-2 inches water in a pot with a steamer basket. Place sweet potatoes and greens in steamer basket, cover, and steam for about 8 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender, but not mushy.
- Toss sweet potatoes and collard greens with olive oil through balsamic vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high, add oil, and cook eggs, adding salt. Flip if desired and cook until they're done the way you like them.
- Serve sweet potato pasta topped with eggs and parmesan cheese.