Mediterranean Veggies and Rice – Quick and Easy
It seems like more often than not, as of late, when it comes time for dinner, I’m too pooped to make anything, well, good. Don’t worry, we’re not starving or anything. I’m sure we’re even getting a fairly nutritious diet. But, we haven’t been eating as well as we could be.
Even though I was bone tired last Wednesday, I decided that we needed something full of veggies, good fats, and whole grains.
Enter rice, veggies, herbs, and Bari olive oil.
Rice lends a nutty, wholesome, hearty aspect to this dish.
The veggies range from carrots with the slightest hint of a crunch, to eggplant that melts in your mouth.
The herbs, some fresh, some dried, add an earthy, savory comfort.
The olive oil adds a bright finishing note that’s not like anything else I’ve ever tasted.
It’s a good dish, this one.
If you’re out of eggplant ideas, I’m here for you.
If you love zucchini but can’t think of another way to prepare it, I’ve got you covered.
If you’re exhausted and would rather crawl into bed than fix dinner, I understand.
If you love food, good food, food that’s wholesome and nutritious, I’m with you.
- 1 – 1 1/2 C leftover rice
- 1/4 C water or vegetable stock
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 small skinny or 1 small fat eggplant, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 t (or more) salt
- pinch pepper
- 1/4 t dried basil
- 1 t fresh oregano,
- 1/8 t red pepper flakes
- 1 t fresh savory
- 1/4 t dried parsley
- 1 t fresh thyme
- 2-4 cloves roasted garlic, mashed
- 1/4 C tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 C kalamata olives, chopped
- 2-3 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 T water
- parmesan cheese, shaved, for topping
- olive oil, for topping
- Re-heat leftover rice with water or stock.
- Generously salt eggplant and let stand for 15 minutes. Rinse and pat dry, then chop.
- Heat skillet and add oil. When oil is hot, add carrot, zucchini, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add eggplant, herbs, and red pepper flakes and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, olives, balsamic vinegar, and water. Cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Combine with rice and let stand for a few minutes. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serve topped with a drizzle of good olive oil and some parmesan cheese.